Monday, January 12, 2009

Mad, I Tell You...


YOU KNOW HOW it sucks like, when a TV series ends, and you've got to wait all those months til it comes back again and you can go back into that world? Did all those Golden Globes for Mad Men just leave you pining for more?

Sorted.

If you go on Twitter, you may have missed your window to follow Don Draper (poor lamb seems he might be too busy to continue.) But no matter, his lovely wife Betty seems to be picking up the slack. And young Sally, their daughter, might become quite a tweeter herself, if Betty doesn't kill her when she finds out about the smoking. Bobby's getting into it, too.

There are clients of Sterling Cooper on the Twitter, too. Let's see, there's comedian and Utz snacks pitchman Jimmy Barret!

Sterling Cooper itself has gotten way into the whole spirit of things, too. You've got the old man, Paul Kinsey, Ken Cosgrove, Harry Crane, Joan Holloway, Roger Sterling, Sal Romano, that hottie-totty Jane Siegel, poor old Freddy Rumsen, even Hildy and her boss, that weasel Pete Campbell.

Some are more active than others, you know? Like Duck Philips hasn't said much for awhile. Not going to speculate on why...cough...rubber arm...cough.... And I'm also afraid the pressure might have taken a toll on dear Peggy Olson. Her personality seems to have split into two. Just like The Three Faces of Eve! I hope she has the strength to talk to that nice Father Gill about it.

And of course, like in any firm if you really want to know what's going on, talk to the girls on the switchboard, or better yet, hang out at the photocopier!

Now can someone explain something to me? Who the hell is this Dick Whitman guy?

You dig a bit further into this tale, and there's a story as interesting and as unlikely as any you're likely to see on the TV. What started as fanfic 2.0, caught AMC's ire, and then came back. Curious, this age we live in? Facebook, are you listening?

(I know that I'm terribly late coming to this by digerati terms, but hey, I'm not the only guy who just got on Twitter in the last month.)

Here's the strange thing. Even though I'm pretty out on a limb as not digging fanfiction...this...this I think is ... cool. And groundbreaking and fun, and I don't have a problem with it at all. I'm not even sure I can express why, exactly. And that's why this age is just so ... endlessly surprising.

So check out the Mad Tweets, if you have a chance. And while you're at it, take a look at Betty Draper's blog.

Gosh, something tells me she just isn't very happy there in Upstate NY in 1962.

4 comments:

Jill Golick said...

Glad to hear the end (or middle?) of this story. There are people tweeting under the names of many characters from many series and I'd heard about that AMC had gotten rid of these folks.

Aren't you against fan fiction, Denis?

DMc said...

I fully cop in the piece I wrote -- somehow this feels different to me. It's much more like a roleplaying game than a fanfic. But yes, I acknowledge some interesting potential inconsistency here.

wcdixon said...

I am trying...but I still don't get Twitter. It still feels like a game or gimmick, like Second Life or 3D TV or something

Unknown said...

You're too quick, Denis -- I was just about to point out that this is technically roleplay, not fanfic.

Thought: Maybe it doesn't ping your oogy bells because it's another step removed from the original medium. Fic is (generally speaking) still conventional storytelling, and thus feels closer to your turf.

We'll see what happens the first time one of these players says "Hey! They used my idea!" (call me cynical, but you know it's inevitable), but in the meantime, it's not hard to see why the form isn't hitting your particular squicks. No real inconsistency.