Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Thanks"

TO ALL OF you who watched my episode of The Border last night. No, I don't know what was going on with the sound. I promise you, it was not every third word being clipped because of the use of the word, "fuck." It sounded to me like something was tripping the audio limiter. Drag.

If you missed it and would like to watch the show in its entirety, well, son, you can totally do that at www.cbc.ca/theborder.

13 comments:

someguy said...

Saw it from the newfoundland feed and wondered what that was. Was hoping it was just the newfoundland broadcast.

Drag man but we still enjoyed the show.

Sandy McMurray said...

Good episode. I loved the last exchange with the U.S. agent. "You used to be naive. It looked good on you."

Nice work.

DMc said...

Heh. My favorite line in the show.

It was supposed to be "You people used to be naive, too. It looked good on you."

But I kind of like James' delivery - it's more ambiguous.

But yup, that's my favorite line.

Mef said...

second sandy on that exchange.

I watched the hd feed here in ns, from ontario, and i didn't have audio issues.

nice work.

wcdixon said...

nice one Centaurian...

redjane Stephanie Belding said...

Well done. And yeah, out here in vancouver we had the sound blip issues- I figured I could rewatch online. It's looking good though- I'm in.

Lee said...

Great job Denis!

We had the sound issue... glad to hear it wasn't our hardware.

I liked the use of French... though I wish I could understand it better.

I'm curious as to what the cut scene was about.

How does it work for a show like this? (Or even Blood Ties for that matter.) Do they give you a story arc or plot ideas and lock you in your room? Or do they just give you the characters and lock you in a room?

Comments from the peanut gallery at our viewing:
- the military planes shown taking off weren't the model spoken about
- fatigue with story lines showing Canadians being pushed around by Americans

Kelly said...

I know it's TV, and I know it's Canadian TV, but please could you at least be a little closer to true life?
I posted a number of criticisms of last night's episode on CBC's site already. I have just a few bones to pick where it presumably is your writing and not the show’s director/editors - JTF2 just stops when they take casualties? Not a expletive chance! The producers should be ashamed of the way they have portrayed JTF2 in this episode. I know that it was a plot device, but come’ on!?
How about the first conversation between Superintendent Norton and the SQ captain? It should have been in French with English subtitles, and then they could have switched to English. Oh, and Superintendent Norton would speak much better French then she did in this episode, or she wouldn’t be a Superintendent. For future reference, the SQ would not be subject to the Official Secrets Act. You actually have to sign-off on that - it's not just blanket coverage everytime it suits the Canadian government.
The “F16’s turning into F15’s" wasn’t your fault – the producers should have made the change based on the footage they had!
Does anyone who knows anything about reality give you advice on your story?
I would apologize for sounding quite harsh, but that would be too Canadian of me.

DMc said...

you ignorant pustule! How dare you criticize me!

Heh. Just kidding. Hey. Its great you care enough to criticize. Even in so... Amped a way.

As for the JTF2 thing. I'm going out on limb here and thinking you have some sort of mil. interest or actual background. On the one hand, sorry guy. This is one of those tv things you just have to suck up. Cops get pissed at all the CSI guys out there solving crimes. And Dana and Fox did stuff (in Armani!) that the real FBI would never do. Oh and Monica's apartment on Friends would be 4K a month. And I don't want to spoil anything for you, but the girl who plays Ugly Betty is a stone cold fox.

I will see you and raise you tho on this...I wanted only six commandos with two dead and two wounded so there were only two left so calling in reinforcements made sense.

But the script is a blueprint. The director wants more bodies to pretty up the visual field. Is he wrong? I don't know. It looks better. But it does make the captains actions less heroic. But at the end of the day the show is not called JTF2. And they're not the heroes. Just like the cops on CSI don't get to solve the crimes.

The French Ive covered elsewhere.

I did know about the official secrets act. I just don't have the scene in the show where the guy signs it. Its 42 mind, guy. Not four hours.

I don't mean to be glib. People are of course free to draw their own lines when it comes to suspension of disbelief. And its interesting to see what little things people pick up on and get pissed about. I'll make you a deal...if you watch the next ten weeks, I promise there won't be any more mistakes. At all. And if by some miracle you do see one, be sure to write the CBC and tell them. Make sure to say you watched the whole show. Oh and you gotta watch all ten weeks. Deal?

Lee said...

I'm afraid to add an addendum to my previous comment, given the exchange that's happened since.

Here goes anyway.

How would they have done this episode if you couldn't have gotten the plane?

Where did you want to put the dog?

That's MIZZ Gypsy To You! said...

Being geolocked out, I'll have to wait til some friendly rat bastid puts it slyly in a place I can find it. So far I've been enjoying the show and whoever the rat bastid is, I am grateful. I expect some Canadian programming will make it onto US sets in the near future for numerous reasons but "The Border" isn't going to be one of those shows. I'll let you worry about the reason if worry is indeed the right word. I don't really care how I get to see it so long as I get to see it.

DMc said...

Hey Lee,

I wanted there to be a sequence with the JTF2 commandos where they were tracking the scent with the dogs. In the end, there actually were a few dogs -- brought in by the crew. They just didn't want to pay for animal handler, etc.

There was actually some consternation in early cuts (that I'm fairly sure would have sent dear Kelly into an apoplectic coma) because one of the dogs put in at the last minute was on a bright red flexi-leash. Definitely not standard issue military gear. It was like, "who's a good search dog?" "Who's chasing terrorists!"

Luckily they fixed it -- I'm not sure whether they cut around it or color corrected it or what.

If we didn't get the plane the whole sequence would have been staged differently. I believe in my original script you saw a plate shot like the plane was far, far down the road. And the cop got out of his cruiser, and we stayed in the cruiser and saw as the Cruiser got shot up.

Obviously it's better to see the plane. The point was I never thought we could afford it. That's what they teach you in Canadian TV -- you can't afford anything.

Luckily they found a way here.

Ceridwyn2 said...

Love your nod to "Battlestar Galactica" in the phrasing of Agent Slade's dialogue:

"We got a bogey. Air Traffic Control's got no frakin' idea who these guys are."

I laughed when I heard that. :)