Sunday, January 20, 2008

Canadian TV This Week: The Guard, The Border, Gas, Murdoch, and more!

WE TRY TO be a full service blog here in Sticksville. And because there's still a WGA strike on and not every minute can be spent watching steroid cases smash each other with Q Tips, and skanky ho's dance their tassles off, I offer fellow Canadians your other new viewing options for the week.


TONIGHT

Da Kink in My Hair Global, 7:30 Murdoch Mysteries (Citytv Winnipeg only, 9pm. (see below))


MONDAY

A new Corner Gas, (8pm, CTV) A New Degrassi, (7:30, CTV) reality premiere The Week The Women Went (8pm, CBC) and of course, The Border at 9pm. (CBC) Episodes of The Border are viewable online here.


TUESDAY

The big news today is the premiere of THE GUARD, Global's (yes, I said Global's!) new hour long series about the lives of Coast Guard agents. This series has been shooting in Squamish, B.C., has lots of action, and features JAG's David James Elliot in a recurring role. Here's Gotta admit, it looks slick, no? (Global, 10pm)



Also on Tuesday, a new Rick Mercer at 8 (CBC), This Hour Has 22 Mins (8:30, CBC), J-Pod (9pm, CBC)

WEDNESDAY

Thirtysomething women are apparently falling for Sophie (CBC, 8:30) And there's also a new Little Mosque on the Prairie (CBC, 8pm)

THURSDAY

The big premiere tonight isn't available to all Canadian viewers, just the ones who get a Citytv. The series version of The Murdoch Mysteries premieres. Starring Yannick Bisson, the show, based on the novels of Maureen Jennings, is a police procedural based in 1895 Toronto. If you've ever read Caleb Carr's The Alienist, (a great book, BTW) this show kind of has the same feel -- light mystery delving into the very beginning of police techniques that we take for granted today. Call it CSI: STONE AGE. Diane has a review of the first episode here. She didn't like it too much, but I saw it at a preview event and I actually found it quite entertaining. There's a bunch of silly stuff with Nikolai Tesla (a winning Dmitry Chepovetsky) and a conspiracy surrounding whether Toronto will go with Alternating or Direct Current for its electrification. I thought it was kind of swell. (Citytv Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver 10pm (repeats Saturday, 8pm); Winnipeg, just because you have to be different, for you the premiere is ... oh bugger... tonight at 9pm. No. I don't know why.)

FRIDAY

MVP continues on CBC at 9pm. (CBC has also put up episodes online, so you can view them here. As long as you're in Canada)

SUNDAY

A new miniseries, Would Be Kings, premieres tonight on CTV, 9pm. It's based on Shakespeare's Henry IV, but set in the world of policing. That could be interesting.

Da Kink in My Hair (Season Finale) 7:30, Global

3 comments:

Memphis said...

How to interpret the fact that you've managed to promote a week's worth of new and newish Canadian drama without ever mentioning CBC's successful new family drama -Heartland. Some bias against family? Not dark and edgy enough? Goes head to head with Da Kink? Or maybe you're just a city slicker who's scared of horses?

DMc said...

Yes. You're right. I'm a city slicker that's scared of horses.

Actually, here's a lesson in Canadian TV for you. I forgot about Heartland because I haven't seen a press release about Heartland or an article about Heartland in about three months. I assumed, like Intelligence (another fall debut) Heartland had simply finished its season.

I believe it was on Sunday at 7pm on CBC. If you're a fan, do tell us how many episodes are left and how successful you think people will be if they decide to tune in not having seen the show before.

The shows I wrote about were top of mind because I watch some of them, and because others are currently showing up in papers I read.

On the other hand, a show that I wrote, Across the River To Motor City, had a bit of pre-press, and then fell off a cliff, to the point where even I forgot it was on.

Canadian networks -- all of them -- are bad at sustained PR. Which is what you need to remind people that you're still there.

Thanks for writing in. If you get a chance, please watch my episode of The Border tonight -- unless you're some sort of country bumpkin that hates people in sunglasses.

(That would be a joke.)

ladycanuck said...

Heartland actually has a really good Facebook site and it gets a lot of traffic. The CBC Heartland website is awesome too with lots of extras (I'm also on the Facebook groups for MVP and The Border but Heartland trounces them traffic-wise). The remaining episodes for Heartland are:

Episode 9: Ghost From The Past - Jan. 20
Episode 10: Born To Run - Feb. 3
Episode 11: Thicker Than Water - Feb. 10
Episode 12: Rising From The Ashes - Feb. 17
Episode 13: Coming Together - Feb. 24