Thursday, November 29, 2007

Writers' Protest Day Wrapup

"Today, people all over the world are going to signify that we do have power and we do have influence. Every day we grow stronger. We're more resolved."

TOM FONTANA (Homicide, OZ) Quoted today in the Hollywood Reporter

When both sides went back to the bargaining table on Monday, there was a whole lot of optimism in the air. But that's cooled now -- with the realization that the two sides in the WGA strike really are still quite far apart.

This is when people can start to lose heart. So symbols are important. I'm glad writers around the globe got out there yesterday to show striking American writers that we are all united, too.

The French Demo is up first with a great video:



Seriously, how cool is that? Oh, and is anyone surprised that the Irish demonstrators seemed to be having the most fun?



And get a load of the German writers at the Brandenburg Gate. (I can't remember, did anything else of historical importance ever happen there?)



Here's an article on the Canadian demo. (Mercifully minus my mug, which appears in the print edition.) There's coverage of the British demo here,

And here's a story about the Australian edition.
Speakers at the 50-strong Sydney rally included Oscar-nominated screenwriter Jan Sardi (Shine, The Notebook), Craig Pearce (Strictly Ballroom, Romeo+Juliet, Moulin Rouge) and AFI-nominated writer Rick Kalowski (Comedy Inc, The Honourable Wally Norman).
Here's another take on the Canadian demos, complete with another quote from that annoying quote whore. At least here I manage not to insult anybody. And I avoid the dreaded war metaphor!

Striking WGA members, don't lose faith, keep fighting. The public backs you, and so do your fellow scenaristes. (Seriously, how cool is that word. I want to be called a scenariste always!)

No comments: