Thursday, August 31, 2006

How To Open

It's on my mind lately, of course, since I'm poring over how to introduce characters to an audience in my own show. But it does bear mentioning that I plugged in my (purchased, Diane, some of us pay our way) copy of House, Season 2, and watched the Q&A with the cast, and was reminded of one of the first things House ever said onscreen:

I'm paraphrasing here: but it's something like this:

Brain tumor, she’s gonna die, boring.

There you go. House in a sentence.

How your character enters the script IS that character.

1 comment:

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Hey, you make it sound like I shoplifted it or something. I pay for my free stuff with the blood, sweat, and tears of my hard labour ... HA! Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face.

So, tell me again how you watched Life on Mars, Mr. Pays His Own Way?

I don't remember if this was on the DVD or not, but David Shore has credited Bryan Singer, the director of the pilot, for much that dramatic entrance. It's not the very first thing House says (though close), but it's the first thing we see him saying - Singer started at the characters' feet and panned up until it was on House's face for those words. I didn't actually notice that at the time, but that one line did hit me and made me think, hmm, I'm really going to like this show.