Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Just Cause It Buzzes, Doesn't Mean You Get To Milk The Bee

That didn't take long.

A couple of comments and four more emails besides, in various levels of pique, taking me to task on why I would write about a show that had great buzz and not name the show.

Well, chickens, that's buzz. That's how it starts.

Seriously, this blog isn't Aint It Cool News. I'm not into revealing early drafts of scripts or spoiler stuff or subverting the marketing machine for a show. Even in a country where marketing is a problem.

The reality is that the screening I went to last night was not a public event. It was a cast and crew screening. I believe that distinction is important. I am not charged with, nor is it my place to kick off the publicity for this show or any other. If it was a public screening, maybe. But it wasn't.

In a few weeks, publicity for the show in question will start to appear. And then I will gladly jump on the bandwagon and, like press reviewers, weigh in on the show and how it plays and all that good stuff. Until then, you're all free to guess -- and maybe -- quelle horreur -- prick up your ears a bit and try to keep those eyes and ears peeled for debuting Canadian series.

But til then, sorry, I'm not Harry Knowles. Not even for you, my dear Sticksvillians.

9 comments:

Diane Kristine Wild said...

But ... but ... you're mean. I'm going to guess Rumours.

Alex Epstein said...

Y'know, some of us don't live in Toronto and hang out at the Spoke Club and get invited to the cool parties. So we have NO WAY TO GUESS what lovely cast and crew party you were invited to just because you're one of the Beautiful People.

I'll go climb back into my hole, now.

DMc said...

Oh cry me a river, Mr. 3rd Highest Grossing Canadian Movie Ever 7 dollar daycare Telefilm's my bitch beautiful women on every street corner speaking French in that sexy way.

Jacques P. said...

Okay, but once it does air, you'll tell us which one you were talking about, right?

wcdixon said...

i remember when I used to get invites to such priviledged events and screenings...'sniff' 'sniff'...

Anyway - I know you have way more important things to do but what's your take on the MySpace thingee? Weigh in?

http://uninflectedimages.blogspot.com/2006/08/so-whats-deal-with-myspace-cont.html#links

Callaghan said...

Is it Mosquito Lake? I bet it's Mosquito Lake.

It's gotta be Mosquito Lake.

Anonymous said...

Why do Canadian shows have to have a geographical feature in the name?

Now I want to write a show called DEATH TRAP ISTHMUS just to see if Showcase will pick it up.

It could be about the exciting but little known world of crab fisherman.

The first half-hour involves the laying of the traps, and the second half-hour involves pulling them up, but there are always complications, like extra wavy seas, frayed rope, drunk and violent captains, ghost crabs, a government science experiment with giant underwater tarantulas, the helicopter from airwolf can attack from time to time, migraine headaches due to one of the crew members drinking too much pop.. 100’s of episodes possible.

Joe Clark said...

If this wasn’t a “public” screening, yet you wrote about it anyway, how can we not conclude that you are entirely ignorant of the concept of “off the record”?

It’s still all about your Benjamins, Denis.

DMc said...

Joe,

You're really the kid in the schoolyard who doesn't differentiate between the "good" and the "bad" attention, aren't ya?

Tell you what: educate me about how you see the idea of "off the record," and exactly how relating an anecdote about a show that engendered positive audience reaction, without naming the show -- on a blog, violates the idea of off the record. Please. Go nuts.

While you're at it, explain the concept of how this blog is helping my benjamins. Because I'm missing that part, and if you can elucidate me, that would rock. Cause, you know, I have nothing against benjamins. A few more would be awesome.

Or, you know, keep ranting, Joe. I'm sure the social disorder stuff won't get in the way of your credibiilty on the issues you hold dear.