FROM HEAVEN TO THE SOUTHLAND, is people waiting for the overnights on HEROES. I didn't watch myself-- I still have about half of Season Two to get through on DVD -- but the strength or relative weakeness of the return of this once-mighty freshman phenom might offer tea leaves for the season to come.
NBC is pretty much in freefall, and an audience that's fickle enough to love something as intensely as Heroes one minute, grow disenchanted during a strike-shortened season and NOT come back at all...
...well, if that's the case we might just be looking at a Baseball Effect. You know, like fans after the 1994 strike. My friend Jeff still hasn't forgiven them.
Anyway, I'll be in a Council Meeting when that news comes down, so feel free to post'em in the comments here.
But like I said, there's a whole lot of folk mouthing "Save the Cheerleader, Save the Nework" this morning...
9 comments:
I fell asleep half way through. There was one new hero with a cool power other than that I guess it failed to catch my interest.
Again, trying to do many things at once and none of them well. Peter Petrelli tried to fix the acopalypse by going back in time and shooting his brother only this time Nathan did not die but the Butterfly Effect changed everyone else. Except, the viewer wasn't really informed about most of that. Nikki wasn't Nikki; Syler could slam doors and move furniture but somehow couldn't open a closet door to get to Clare; Souresh injected himself with super serum which began to alter him; and Parkman ended up in the African desert with a shaman who knows the future. It's all a jumble of mythologies - like each character is in a different show. And except for Hiro, it isn't even any fun. It was exhausting to watch.
unfortunately, I think they had a great limited series. Not a continuing episodic series.
I think Heroes is over.
Similar to Jill, I packed it in before the first hour was over. It could be that I was just. too. tired. The peanut gallery here didn't watch past the first 5-10 minutes.
That was certainly a spoiler fest, Deborah, with great picking apart plot/suspense moments that made sense on your part of criticism but not for the show, as long as the audience put a modicum of thought into it.
I see Heroes changing direction, becoming faster paced, at least from these first two parts. At the same time, though, even though the 2 hours were broadcast as two chapters, felt like all the actions was padding.
I'm more a fan of the second season but am interested in seeing where all the isolated stories come together. I remember a lot of people not getting into the 1st season until about 1/4 or 1/2 through, anyway. . ..
Season 1 of Heroes proved to be quite a frustrating experience for me. I suffered through the horrible writing and acting, hoping that something big would happen.
There were probably only a handful of good moments (mostly involving Peter and Sylar), and the final episode was a major letdown. I felt like I wasted my time.
I decided to skip season 2, until last week when I was hooked by the promise of having "villians" in season 3. Naturally I decided that I should be caught up before the start of the new season.
Watching season 2 episodes, I can't say I understand the complaints (there have been many)about these episodes. There have been comments about the drop in quality, but to me it's pretty much the same as season 1. Bad writing, bad acting.
Will season 3 be different? Somehow I doubt it, but I'll be there every week, tuning in.
The debut of the show's third season, and its return to the air with new episodes for the first time since last December, drew a 6.1 rating/9 share in the 9pm hour, good for third place behind the second hour of ABC's Dancing with the Stars which drew a 13.5/20, and a combo of CBS sitcoms - Two and A Half Men (9.1/13) and Worst Week (6.8/10).
Under 10 million for season premiere...gots to be considered a disappointment.
And that 'Countdown Special' was just embarrassing.
Yup, the once 'hit' show premiered in third place, well behind Dancing With The Stars on ABC and Two And A Half Men and Worst Week on CBS.
I don't watch any of these shows, but I am one of those 73 or so who are still watching Terminator on Fox. That one must be a real sweetheart deal with Warner Bros., 'cause it's not doing Fox any favours to suffer dismal ratings just to promote Warner's upcoming theatrical.
I did try watching Heroes back in season one, but the pilot bothered me enough--especially the comics fan in me--that I couldn't keep going with it.
I've been a die-hard Heroes fan since the pilot episode. Sure, the show has had its ups and downs, its "OMG, that's awesome!" and "WTF were they thinking?" moments. Season One was fan-freakin'-tastic. Season Two was...well, we all know how things went with Season Two. The production team promised changes and fixes in Season Three, and I'm really hoping to see that. But so far...well, let's just say I have my doubts. There have been glaring inconsistencies in character development and poorly thought out plot devices intended to keep things moving along, issues, plots and characters from past episodes, going back two seasons, have been dropped like a hot rock and the writers have stated in interviews and blog posts that they don't really have any solid plans to do much about it. At this point the show is a confusing mess -- a very expensive, visually stunning, beautifully directed and choreographed mess.
I know a few writers of the show and the online graphic novel series. Some are friends, some even work for me on my webcomic series (or will, once their schedule clears). I fully recognize the incredibly hard work that they all do trying to keep this insanely expensive, fast-running train from derailing. I hope and pray that all the wrinkles will get ironed out by the end of Season Three, or I won't be back for Season Four (if there is one).
KJC
Post a Comment