Ottawa's CHRI came to a recent hearing of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission with 780 letters of support for a new FM station that would have played traditional Christian music, hymns and classical music targeting an older audience. Gatineau resident Fiston Kalambay Mutombo also attended the hearing to propose a French-language Christian station.
Only two broadcast slots were available and neither went to the Christian proposals. Instead, Astral Media Corp. got a spot at 99.7 on the dial, with just 77 letters of support for a soft adult music station aimed at older women.
Just a few weeks ago, the CRTC approved Northern Peaks, a porn cable channel based in Alberta, leaving many to wonder about its values as a government regulator.
"The approval of (Northern Peaks) was quite offensive," said Don Hutchison, director of law and public policy for the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada. "The CRTC has, for the past 15 years, sent a strong message they don't like Christian broadcasting, but they will allow it with heavy restrictions."
Ottawa listener David MacDonald, who used to have his own Christian radio program, is more blunt: "It's really getting tough to be a Christian in a country that was founded on Christian values.
"On Normandy Beach, what you see is a big cross ... you don't see a big dildo."
As said unnamed, I'm afraid of the Christian folk wag observed:
There's so much in this story that I really like...
1. It allows spokespeople for the Christian Right to say "Dildo".
2. It pits Evangelists against the CRTC, so -- like in a mob hit -- you don't really care who gets hurt.
3. Paragraph 3 exhibits how the CRTC really does show favoritism to an established broadcaster over somebody (make that anybody) else.
Yup. Though, I gotta say, I kind of see the crazy old Christers' point.
Culture wars anyone? Good thing we're having one of them elecmucations.
EDIT: I edited the article excerpt in such a way that it doesn't make sense. The commenter's point 3 above was that they favored Astral -- a big company, well established, ie: part of the elite.
2 comments:
They apparently don't like Christian-supremacist broadcasting at CRTC. I can't fault the Commission for holding to such logic.
On the other hand, you've got a point or two there as well.
I'm not a "Christian" but I can certainly see why so many of them seem to feel as if they/their beliefs are under seige. I don't see why the issue of "Christian-Supremacist broadcasting" couldn't be dealt with by placing restrictions on the license.
On the plus side - I can look forward to yet another radio station geared to my demographic - too bad they're likely to mostly play music that will make me want to gag!
Post a Comment