Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sunrise, Sunset


SO THE beach is closed. Falcon Beach, the teens and wakeboarders opus recently on Global, will end after two seasons. In coverage of the cancellation, people around Winnipeg Beach lament that the show's loss is going to take a toll on tourism -- because people did come to see where the show was shot.

--*little Canadian Media 101 aside here -- interesting to compare CBC's negative spin on the tourist thing with the SunMedia spin. Hmmm.*

Bottom line, this gets me thinking....Canadian TV tourism. Cogitate on that a while. Could we missing a whole range of exploitable opportunities, here?

People, where are the Molly's Reach pubs? Why can't I get a Wojczek shaved beef sandwich?

Where's the Road to Avonlea Walking tour? Why are there no Wind at My Back hoodies? Bring on the Jeff Ltd. courier bags (the better to store your ego!) In the hot hot summer, why not slurp on a Cold Squad icee treat? I mean, c'mon, how long did it take them to release the Hockey Night in Canada theme on Itunes? Let's get on the stick here, people...there's money to be made!

You could have The Collector change purses. Or Blood Ties handkerchiefs. Or heck, we could always take Train 48 out of mothballs and charge people for the interactive Tony n Tina's wedding experience of their lives. Now there's an alternative revenue stream!

Yes, sure, there's a King of Kensington statue in Toronto, but how come nobody's offered a Chuck and Olivia line of scented Street Legal bath beads?

Seriously.

I was very amused to drive down Pacific Drive on one of my last days in Vancouver and see the Stargate there. Oh sure, my companion said it was actually a piece of public art, but you and I both know it was the Stargate.

Ancillary products, boys. Let's get on that.

***

Of course the cancellation of Falcon Beach is not surprising, since it kind of always had that problem that a lot of Canadian TV copros get into -- which show was it? Was it a nighttime soap? Was it a show for teens? There was a lot of back and forth and rumors seemed to indicate that ABC Family and Global wanted different shows. When that happens, it always ends in tears.

I just hope that this doesn't mean that no one tries another broad appeal, fun show for another nine years. Let's all move on and chipper up. Winnipeg Beach, you still have those waves. And somewhere, Paige Bradshaw's bikini lives on.

Probably on Ebay.

***

On the other hand, a nice surprise in the pickup for Robson Arms. It's a show of many charms. Like a series of short stories about the denizens of the titular apartment building, the in-and-out weave of narrative grows on you. I would not be the slightest bit surprised if this show caught on down the road. You have to tune into its wavelength, but the more you do the bigger the rewards become.

I really hope CTV gives it a good slot this fall. It did good numbers in the first season -- which is now available on DVD, so maybe with a protected slot, proper promotion, a couple more stunts like casting Leslie Nielsen, RA will rise again.

6 comments:

Alex Epstein said...

Considering that a big part of Prince Edward Island's economy is Anne of Green Gables tourists from Japan, I really think we should roll tourism numbers into the economic benefits of Cancon. The more Cancon we can sell over the border and overseas, the more people are going to come to tourist destinations like Montreal. Think what Lord of the Rings has done for Kiwi tourism. (Though I have to wonder how many people Sopranos has scared away from Jersey.) Smoke in your pipe and put that in, Steven Harper!

Carolyn Bennett said...

Dang, you made me laugh today.

I'd kill for a Wojczek shaved beef sandwich.

Great blog, Denis. Did you go to the wgc awards last night?

Anonymous said...

Never underestimate Canadians' enduring affection for The Beachcombers. That show single-handedly transformed the village of Gibsons into one of the most popular tourist destinations on the west coast. Gibsons, Molly's Reach restaurant, and the pier where The Beachcombers was filmed remain enormously popular to this day.

Let's face it, the scenery was the real star of that series.

BC Tourism page about Gibsons

More

A Molly's Reach customer reviews the Relic Burger

Kelly J. Crawford said...

I'm already working on The Black Tower jewelry line and night club franchise, DMc.

Sad to hear about Falcon Beach. I'm dating one of the stars of the show, and now that he's yet another out-of-work actor, I'm sure he'll be hitting me up for rent money any day now. LOL!

I'm thrilled about Robson Arms. I'm a huge fan of the show and emailed the producers yesterday to congratulate them on a dynamite second season.

ME said...

Sorry I'm late to comment on this, but couldn't resist adding my two cents.

So here's the funny thing about Falcon Beach. I think we'd all agree it is a mediocre show at best, but by international standards, it is a raging success. At last count, sold in 115 countries. You heard right. 115.

So, you tell me, what kind of a business decision was it to cancel it? There had to be a way to do at least another season and cut Global in on the gravy train to keep it on the air to build up enough episodes to strip.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

MC said...

I just started getting into Robson Arms... it isn't Corner Gas, but it is still pretty good.