One of the places I wandered into yesterday in Gastown was Biz Books, a nice and cozy little Film/TV/Theatre bookstore. Toronto's version is called Theatrebooks, and it's in the middle of Yorkvile -- a place I try to avoid. Biz Books is a whole lot more comfy.I think maybe I was softened a bit to buy some industry-like books, cause the night before I'd seen an excellent production of Morris Panych's Vigil at the Vancouver Playhouse. I'd never seen this play, and I thoroughly enjoyed it; even more so knowing it was the playwright's first time playing the role.
I was also weak because, you know, I've got this ongoing yen for playwriting that's kind of like a scab I can never stop picking. Believe me, if I'm down on the Canadian TV industry, then I'd be swinging from the rafters if I ever truly threw myself into theatre and tried to be a full time...shudder...Canadian playwrightC. As I've said to friends many times, "Ah, that sweet, sweet, sweet theatre money."
So I dropped a ton of cash on lots of books. And before you ask, Alex, yes. They had both your books. And they were shelved in some pretty good real estate too -- right at eye level.

Anyway...I started out with a copy of Conor McPherson's Shining City because I saw the play last year on Broadway and loved it.

Peter Farrelly's The Comedy Writer was a trade paperback impulse buy. Novels about the business -- it's like not working, only not so much!

I've been thinking for a while that I need to sharpen my verbal pitching skills. I'm starting to be one of those guys who goes off on tangents when he tells a story, so I figured Michael Hauge's Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds might be useful.
I remember hearing about Writing the TV Drama Series by Pamela Douglas, but I really bought it because it had pull quotes by John Wells, David Milch, and Bochco. And a nifty cover. There you go, bitches. Marketing works.

I know some of the people quoted in Alone in a Room by John Scott Lewinski so I took a flyer on that.

And finally, I bought another copy of Steven Pressfield's ESSENTIAL The War of Art because I left my last copy on the A Train the last time I was in New York.I also picked up Joseph Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces because (shamefully, I know) I've never read it.
What's sometimes even more interesting in these cases are the ones you don't buy. I recall some people talking about Save The Cat! Anybody read it? Worthwhile?
I also was seriously considering buying a book by some guy with a PhD who ran down psychology for screenwriters...but I was afraid that if I read it it might make me sound less like a writer and more like a network executive or film studies professor.
I'll let you know about these books as I work through them. Now maybe I should find something cheaper to do, like trying to stalk The Police while they're here rehearsing.
Oh, one more thing...when I was complaining about the lack of pubs, some anonymous commenter suggested The Irish Heather. You win. Mmm. Guinness, how I've missed you.
A note to any publisher P.R. people reading this: I do love the people at Biz Books, but yes, I will definitely review books on TV writing if you send me free copies. That's just how daddy rolls.
4 comments:
Save the Cat! is actually a wise little book. It changed the way I approach screenwriting. The two scripts I've written since studying it are significantly better than what I've written in the past. Check it out.
I'm going to get the War of Art book you mention. That sounds interesting.
Another good one that doesn't necessarily apply to screenwriting or TV writing but is just super interesting for any storyteller is a little book called "The Situation and the Story: The Art of Personal Narrative" by Vivian Gornick.
Writing the TV Drama Series is so informative about the things we don't even know we want to know - like the structure of the pitching season and when it ebbs into staffing season and etc that I found myself reading it like a story.
I read the War of Art on your recommendation actually, and I can safely say it has changed the way I work.
Gad! You're the second blogger this week who has mentioned The Hero With a Thousand Faces.
Personally, just can't get into Joseph Campbell. My fiance and tons of other people love the guy, but I just can't get into him.
Post a Comment