I worked at the same station as the cuddly and curmudgeonly Silverman for eight years.
Best. Silverman Helps. Ever.
No wonder he got the Anderson Cooper love. Toronto, get ready for this in the news promos til, I don't know...forever?
BTW, the optical store is right down the street from where I live in Toronto. Awesome.
9 comments:
First of all, that "optician" is obviously a douchebag.
But if you think I'm gonna sing Silverman's praises, forget it. I hate that kind of "journalism" - where "reporters" act as judge jury and executioners of business owners (big and small). The business owner NEVER gets a fair shake because, let's face it, there's no story unless the "little guy" gets restitution from the "big bad guy".
Yes, the business is often at fault, but I've noticed stories where the customer CLEARLY erred (whether it was a warranty or just in their expectations of the product) and here comes Silverman with his camera to shame the company into settling fast so as not to get too much negative press.
Can't. Stand. That. Crap. One of the reasons I very rarely watch City News (though CFTO's gone in the crapper too - have you see "Consumer Alert"?).
While this guy went off the deep end, I'm not surprised that it came to this. In some ways I'm glad to see SOMEONE isn't taking this sort of sensational media intimidation lying down. (Did I mention that guy was a douchebag?)
Cuddly as Mr. Silverman may be, his tactics suck.
And am I the only one who thinks the police completely overreacted? (are they from Boston or something?) ETF with guns drawn? WTF? The guy was refusing to come out = break a window.
But maybe that's just me...
That was Classic! Go Silverman.
I dunno, I haven't seen Silverman go after any frivilous cases, they've usually been instances where the consumer was clearly wronged. I think there are other reporters who go for the sensational, but I think Silverman's pretty stand-up.
Plimmer is a whack job, no question. I hope they pull his license and find some kind of criminal charge to throw at him for endangering people's health and well-being (driving with the wrong prescription can't be safe).
Peter rocks.
Silverman, who is the ombudsman not a 'reporter', only shames those who deserve to be shamed. If you've ever watched his pieces, he goes out of his way to praise those who are stand-up in their practices and explains things to the complainants.
Also, it's SOP to call in the ETF with a stand-off situation. The beat cops don't have the authorization to even do a door breach in such situations. This is real life here, not TV.
Yeah, can't stand that ambush journalism.
I'm all for ambush journalism when they are going after the Sylar of optical store owners.
Glasses are expensive. Especially if you get the auto-tinting feature.
People who don't like Silverman probably own corrupt businesses and are just afraid.
I agree, Silverman is a bad ass. Regardless of your position on his journalism, he is a 75-year-old who was ready to throw down with a man at least half his age.
"Watch it Buddy!"
This particular case aside, you blindside anyone with hostile questions and they will appear, to the camera, to be hiding something. It invests what should be a sober investigation with false drama.
This why I buy my glasses at JC Penny. Good price. Good service. No beatings nor restraining orders required.
Post a Comment