Monday, February 5, 2007

Matt & Danny Take On The Insurgency

Boys and girls, I was a stalwart holdout, but I think it may finally be time to start talking about drawing down continued viewership to Studio 60, so that we may bring about a conclusion with honor and dignity to the tale of Matt & Danny, Amanda Peet, Dawn from "The Office," the great Mark McKinney and the less-great Sarah Paulson.

I say this with a heavy heart.

In the end? The whole the comedy-sketches-weren't-funny-thing was exactly what I said it was: a distraction. No, chalk this up to something more basic:

  • The characters did not demand that you care about them. I haven't cared about Tim Busfield since the Pilot. I find myself wishing for more scenes with Steven Webber. Amanda Peet was fine but Whitford never crackled against her. Even the good adds: Darius, McKinney's character, Lucy -- went nowhere. I feel like I don't have a dog in this hunt.
  • Not enough story. Three Parters that should be two, Two Parters that should be one. No nailing of tone. This lurch into romantic comedy is hamfisted because it still doesn't matter because, well...see point number one.
God bless our great medium of television, and God Bless The United States of Hollywood.

Come back Casey McCall and Dan Rydell. All is forgiven.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't love some more Sports Night right now?

Reading you Canadian writer bloggers between Sunday and Monday always puts me in a down mood for watching the new Studio 60.

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Not enough story - exactly. At the end of last night, I couldn't figure out what the story was in that two-parter, and why it needed two parts to tell it. Or is this going to be a three-parter? Am I supposed to still care about where the not-a-story is going?

And tone - yeah. It's not the same show it was before Christmas, but not in a way that's going to bring the haters into the fold. Suddenly it's all about the romantic entanglements of characters that haven't yet been strongly developed as individuals. I cared about Matt and Danny until the only thing they ever did was moon over women.

Hmm, maybe another lame Studio 60 is why I'm in a pissy mood today.

Kelly J. Crawford said...

I just read in one of the trades that Studio 60 has been pulled from NBC's schedule -- with no return date in sight.

Not good news. :-(

Anonymous said...

I watched the program last week and its suffering was so great that killing it was the most merciful thing anyone could have done.

Anonymous said...

if sports night and west wing are so popular why hasn't any Canadian cable channel rerun it ... chances are studio 60 won't be rerun either.
therefore Sorkin is a total failure

PS said...

Yup, I came to the same conclusion last night.

I've stopped defending it.

Once again, romance determined the shark-jumping moment for a show...in the first season, though?! WTF?! Where's the fire, Aaron?

One "couple" on the show was enough, but when it became three virtually overnight (and with stalking behaviour to boot!), I was looking for the respirator's cord.

Die, die, die. No show that has a great premise botched this badly deserves to live...unless it's on CBC.

We hardly knew ye.

Anonymous said...

I definitely wouldn't say 'die die die', as I kinda love the show, Matthew Perry, Timothy Busfield, and the warm fuzzy feeling I get from (most) new episodes (not to mention the afterbuzz from seeing my reviews posted on Sorkin's nemesis, Aintitcool -- and scale of 1-10, how sad it is that my only regular writing besides my blog is those things?). But I'm definitely drifting more towards the camp that would, if forced to choose only one, keep 30 Rock for a second season and let Studio 60 ease away gently. But isn't there room on TV for both? Can't we have a pleasant little behind-the-scenes drama over a psychic detective or three? Or eighty billion CSI/Law and Orders?

Anonymous said...

Who would even watch a good show about show runners? And doing something "about" comedy without having the funny chops is the ultimate in hubris. Violates the first law, too.

Anonymous said...

No, no, no! You moronic morons! You have to GET Studio 60! And clearly, you don't.
Sorry for the insult, it was not directed at any of you, but rather just "said out loud" to let off steam.
Some people feel strongly about this show, and if you don't, fine, but don't waste your time saying how much you dislike it, just go watch other shows. There are plenty of shows that I don't care for, I just respect the fact that other people do. And even though Studio 60's not watched by 28 million people there are still a few million who watch it and LIKE IT. So please, enough with the kill-this-show crap, just change the channel.

Anonymous said...

Matt Neffer, Boy Spotwelder here.

I'm with Denis. This past three-parter was the straw that broke the camel's patience with Aaron Sorkin. And camels are very patient creatures, as we all know. Compare last night's show with the bristling, sharp-tongued shades-of-"Network"-like stylings of the fine pilot.

Remember Judd Hirsh? Hell, remember when they used to compare Studio 60 to "Network"?!?!

Now, as a realistic indictment of television it more close resembles, let's say, oh, "Switching Channels," starring Christopher Reeve.

Okay, so I had to reach into the vault a little for that one.

Anonymous said...

Matt Neffer again. I just found out they're also putting 30 Rock on hiatus throughout March.

This is less-welcome news. What sort of idiot is programming things over at NBC?

Oh, that's right. The new chairman of General Electric.

DMc said...

To our 4:23 anonymous poster:

Before you go and post things, you really should take the time to do your research.

All it takes is ONE Google of the name of this blog + Studio 60 and you should be able to see the myriad posts where I've defended the show up til now.

I was not one of the early haters. I did not go after the whole "comedy" angle. I've stuck with the show more than most.

And now I think I'm just about done.

IF you want to stay on the train, fine. But check your facts first.

The_Lex said...

If it's any consolation on the 30 Rock hiatus, a Jane Espenson show is taking its place.

As for Studio 60, I don't really understand why they put "To be continued. . ." at the end of the last episode. Frankly, I pretty much put that at the end of every episode on my own.

Anonymous said...

Woah woah woah DMC, I think anon 4:23 is saying what a lot of people feel. What I feel. Studio 60 is still a great show. Even with its faults it's still head over heels better than MANY shows out there.

Instead of playing monday morning quarterback, how about mentioning some of the things it got RIGHT. I'll start.

It was unafraid to be intelligent. It actually was a rumination on secularism in post 9/11 America dressed up as a show about comedy, and THAT is what ultimately sunk the show in the States, but it was very brave to even try.

Andrew

Mef said...

denis doesn't need me defending him but... it seems to me he's saying something like this: i wanted to like this show; i did in fact like the show, and now unfortunately i don't like it.(denis: correct me if i'm wrong)

he's not saying sorkin's a failure or that people who like the show are idiots. he backs up his opinions with examples. so likers out there, denis is not the enemy. he writes a blog about tv and studio 60 is on tv. for now. I think he "gets" studio 60.

you can not like studio 60 and not be a moron. and the problem for studio 60 fans is that people ARE turning the channel, even the high income earning, pvr watching ones.

Todd said...

Denis has been one of the foremost defenders of S60, anon, so his change of face based on the recent episodes is just him reporting his new mood on things. Presumably, if he stops watching it, he'll stop writing about it. His praise of the show has been sharp enough that it made me, admittedly, a frequent critic of the show, dig a little deeper to figure out why it left me so irascible.

And, just to clear up the hiatus thing, both S60 and 30 Rock will remain on the air through February, then get pulled for The Black Donnellys (an excellent, excellent show) and Andy Barker (I have yet to see) in early March. Andy Barker's run is only six episodes long, so 30 Rock will return on April 19. S60 should return at the end of the season too, though if Donnellys is a huge hit, that could change.

Alex Epstein said...

Ditto, DMc. Sorkin whiffed on this one.

Maybe he's run out of ideas. Maybe he should bring on some brilliant staff. Of course, he might have to forgo putting his name on every episode. But new blood might notice that Matt Albie isn't a lovable jerk, he's just a jerk.

Why did this need to be a triple header?

DAVID BISHOP said...

Dan Rydell and Casey McCall can come back anytime they want - no need for any forgiveness, IMHO.

Juniper said...

I know that it's sooo late to comment on this one. I agree with Denis re: the romance, the Friday that took three to four weeks to get to (I was excited though when I thought it would be over two weeks!).....

.... but I ask you this, "Will you be watching Studio 60 next Sunday night?"

I know I will. Even if it is just to see if it's another stinker or if they can prolong getting to Friday night by another week!

Ain't that sad?