So, I've now watched two episodes of Jericho. Jericho is notable since it's one of the few new shows whose audience went up in its second week.
I'm relieved to say that I really liked it. Relieved, because I know Stephen Chbosky, one of the co-creators and writers.
What I like about Jericho is that the big bang it started with has yielded to the little, truthful things about, "how would this work?" Yup. Fallout shelters would be filled with crap and unusable. The story in the 2nd episode was small, and the first episode was about finding kids on a bus. By starting with a cataclysmic event, and then really focusing on the small stories, it strikes me that this medium is so much better at grappling with these kinds of huge events, rather than a two hour popcorn movie like Day After Tomorrow or Independence Day, where you're given shorthand human stories and characters you're supposed to root for. (Although I think Independence Day was probably the last one of those movies that worked. I suspect, post 9-11, it's going to be a long time before one of those movies works again.)
Jericho's already setting up its share of mysteries and love triangles, and the way that they revealed how far the disaster reaches (both the audio recording from Atlanta and the push pins) was understated and chilling.
So...it stays on the pile. Damnit.
I finally watched the pilot of Kidnapped. I liked it better than Vanished. I like Jeremy Sisto's character, but I'm not sure it's something I'll watch every week. And I've already missed one episode already. The "drama montage" song at the end of the pilot was simply awful.
(Sidebar: I don't feel the same way about the "drama montage" song as Ken Levine does. In fact, if you're going to have 40 minutes and have five acts, I think it's probably the only way to deliver a moment that isn't strictly plot. Yes, it's a cliche. It's the final triumph of music videos. Nobody watches them on MTV anymore, because now every drama show has them. But LordyLoo, when the song is some Nickelback wannabe shite? Like the song at the end of the Kidnapped pilot? Gaggggh. Tell you what, showrunners...stick to Nic Harcourt picking your music. I think Levine hated the song from Smith, which, unless I miss my guess, is the same song that was used so well in Spike Lee's Inside Man. Sorry, Ken, when it comes to cool, Spike wins. Look at me. Writer traitor. /Sidebar)
I'm not sure about the new Earl, with de-emphasizing the list. I kind of liked the list.
The Office blazed out of the gate stronger than ever. Greg Daniels goes on the list of my writer crushes, starting now. That's right, Whedon. Don't get comfortable. You too, Sorkin, get off that goddamn cellphone and go write something funny for Sarah Paulson.
I saw a promo for The Bachelor in Rome. Is ABC actively going after the misogynist audience now? Jesus.
Ugly Betty was just fine. Lovely acting, nice tone. But I doubt I'll watch again just because it's not my world. I have no interest in watching a show about fashion. If I was bored and had nothing else to do, I'd probably tune in, but hopefully they won't need me as a viewer anyway and I don't have ot watch a show about the fashion world, which bores me to tears. (A series set in Rolling Stone magazine or Spin or Uncut...now that's a different story.)
Still liking Six Degrees.
And finally, Dear Grey's Anatomy: I hear you're doing well. Good for you. I wish you well. Your new timeslsot is lovely, Hubbell.
1 comment:
Don't forget to watch Lights, Friday Night.
Post a Comment