Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Open Thread: You Blog for a While

Sigh. Production rewrites.

So the season creeps forward slowly. My thoughts, briefly summarized:

  • HOUSE bounced back with one weird case. An IVF twin? Brrr.
  • STANDOFF has a great opening. 2nd episode was very strong. Still don't see how they get to 22, but she's still cute, and the TRACON story was inventive enough that it's on conditional pass for me. Being after HOUSE helps, though.
  • BSG webisodes is probably the first use of webisodes that makes sense to me. As we all know, them scifi fans? They's crazy. This whole "can't watch them from Canada" thing (pioneered by SHOWTIME is B.S., tho.)
  • Should I try watching BONES again?
  • I'm done with JUSTICE.
  • What, besides STUDIO 60, are the biggies next week?
There. discuss any or all of those amongst yourselves down in the comments.

I have to go kill my darlings, now.

10 comments:

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Everything kind of pales compared to the anticipation of Studio 60, and I don't know if they'll be actual biggies, but next week also brings The Class (Monday), Jericho (Wednesday), Shark and Six Degrees (Thursday). I've seen the first three and they're OK but not destined to be regular watching for me.

Cunningham said...

Ken Levine is going to wretch at this, but I was charmed by HAPPY HOUR. Not perfect by any means but better at what it does than STANDOFF.

Yes, HEROES is on my list as is JERICHO. I want to see how they can rationalize someone survives after seeing the mushroom cloud that close. Sorry. Uh uh. It ain't gonna happen.

6 DEGREES has that "too feel-good" scent on it that says "pass."

Todd said...

The Class and Jericho both get better in episode two. The Class pilot is funnier than the How I Met ... pilot, but the characters aren't terribly sharply defined right off. Jericho is trying to play its scenario plausibly, if not quite realistically (I guess CBS doesn't think viewers would tune in for week after week of radiation sickness).

Shark is a good performance and great direction propping up a rather weak script, though I can see where it could evolve into House with Lawyers faster than Justice.

Six Degrees -- I dunno. . .I just don't know if it's a series.

Callaghan said...

I was wondering the same thing about Bones. I always liked Boreanez on Angel, but I gave up on Bones after only one episode. Is it worth checking out again?

I haven't seen any of the pilots in advance, so only going by what I've read, I'm curious about Jericho. Gerald McRaney was one of the highlights of Deadwood this year, so hopefully he'll keep it up and the writing will be solid.

I'm also a bit hopeful for Smith, but a bit worried that it's going to let me down. I'm crossing my fingers that Liotta will be in full-on Goodfellas mode.

Twenty Good Years might turn out to be a guilty pleasure. Lithgow is always good for a laugh and Jeffrey Tambor is pure gold. Now we just have to see if the jokes are as funny as the men saying them.

I didn't even bother with Justice.

On a side-note, some blatant and disgusting self-promotion: I recently revived my once-dead blog with a new focus. If anyone feels like checking out the fall relaunch, go through my profile. Or:
creativelyprogressing.blogspot.com

Was that bad etiquette? Seriously, I'm not sure.

Anonymous said...

I've seen Jericho. I wanted to see whole grid patterns of mushroom clouds across the landscape. (which is more realistic, although I guess that depends on who's doing the shooting)

That one single mushroom cloud on the horizon almost looked cute.

And I had other issues with it. Specificly the improvised "field trachiotomy", which we've all seen a thousand times, and shouldn't be a plot device in a pilot in 2006.

Hopefully it gets better in ep 2 because post-apocolyptic worlds are neato.

wcdixon said...

I'd suggest giving Bones another try - the addition of a new female boss has added a nice dynamic. And if anything, not a bad thing to support Canuck creator Hart Hanson.

Cunningham said...

Bit of trivia:

Bones is shot at the kids school there at the LA Museum (near USC). All the trusses and concrete flooring and whatnot is the open area where we held the 2005 DVD Exclusive awards. It's so funny that beyond those glass and metal walls are 4th and 5th graders reciting their ABC's and learning about science.

But it looks cool. Good location manager who nabbed that one.

Piers said...

I keep hearing good things about the latter part of Bones S1. I just keep having other things to watch first.

BSG not working is some kind of country-coding then. Ah. I'd just assumed it was windows-only and my Mac couldn't cope.

Cunningham said...

Piers - just go to Youtube and watch them there...

Callaghan said...

I completely forgot about the show I'm looking forward to the most. Intelligence on CBC. From Chris Haddock, who created Da Vinci's Inquest.

Can't wait for that one.