Thursday, September 14, 2006

At The Three-Quarter Turn

Well.

I mentioned to a friend last night that I felt like I was now at the point where even when I get my eight hours sleep (which is by no means assured -- one of the casualties of doing a lot of production writing for me is that it's hard to turn off the analytical sense, so you find yourself waking up a lot) I feel like I'm starting each day at about 40%.

It's my own fault. I don't do much to make things better on myself. I'm terribly out of shape and I'm not exercising right now. I hope to get back to swimming once I'm done. I like swimming. Helps me focus.

Anyway, it's hard to explain to people who do real backbreaking, physical work that writing for eight hours is tough and exhausting. But it is. Riding a chair, strangely, can actually wear you out. All you professional writers with kids -- or even committed strivers who have to write around family duties -- my hat is very much doffed for all of you.

See, I'm not complaining -- merely making the point because it's still one of the things you have to deal with. There are decisions being made all the time, things you get asked about, and if you're not clear-headed, something could go bad. And when there are forty people rushing to get to the finish line -- which is the starting line, really... you just gotta breathe and push through it. You have to be able to keep working even when you're not at your best. So the whole excuse, "I didn't feel like writing today?" Add that to the pile of "things real writers can't ever afford to say."

Sometime next week I'm going to write about some of the stuff that's been new to me that I've found particularly fascinating: like the clearance process for names.

But for now, I'll just drink more coffee and look forward to tomorrow. Tomorrow, I get to hear the wonderful cast read my scripts aloud. After more than a year of work, and I don't know how many rewrites, that's going to be a singular treat.

If I can stay awake for it.

Three days to camera.

6 comments:

Systemaddict said...

Good for you man, 3 day's to camera, sounds just about the 3rd best thing to day 1 of camera. Great work, hope it all goes smooth for you- and of course...that you get to releax

Anonymous said...

I recomend Korean Red Ginseng in the morning to wake you up, and a beautiful lady friend in the evening to put you to sleep.

And congratulations. Be sure to let us know how it feels to have all that hard work pay off.

Kelly J. Crawford said...

It's posts like this that make me very nervous and uncertain about what's in my near future. I think I might end up with a drug dependency before my first episode hits the airwaves. :-(

I wish you strength and good sleep in the weeks ahead, Denis.

KJC

Cunningham said...

The day you go to camera and actually can breathe, do the following:

1. Go get a thorough deep tissue massage and adjustment (and I don't mean a 'happy ending')from a licensed masseuse.

2. Go home and get into a hot bath with a l-2 liter bottle of water nearby to drink for about a half-hour.

3. Take two aspirin and go right to sleep.

Five to eight hours later, you will be a new man, and ready for anything.

wcdixon said...

you sound tired...but you are correct - add four kids to the mix and its tough sometimes to even stand.

Enjoy the read-thru --- and first day of camera is always exciting, but isn't it just the beginning. I mean, once the thrill wears off, isn't it about watching dailies and massaging roles as characters come to life...rewriting more as production and scheduling issues come to light...etc?

Or will this beast be different because you're block shooting it all?

Anyway, best of luck.

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Oooh, I want what Bill's having.

Take care of yourself, DMc.