Friday, July 14, 2006

The Weekend Round Up: Where Jack Is a Very Dull Boy

Well, I've been pretty much working about 10 hours a day since I returned from NYC. Before that, I was churning out a first draft for a week or so. So by my count, by the time Monday rolls around, I will have written or rewritten about 160 or so pages over the last 2-3 weeks. That tends to knacker one out.

I have a final stretch to do to get the scripts in, then there's the pause that refreshses, before production and notes start dictating rewrites. I've spent so much time in my condo for the last 10 days or so that I'm starting to feel like the Phantom of the Condo.

So I'm doing the kind of thing that I've always wanted to do. Work necessistates that I spend the weekend writing, missing yet more of what really seems like a lovely Toronto summer. But it doesn't say where I've got to do the writing. And yeah, you gotta eat. But that doesn't mean you gotta cook.

Screw it.

I'm checking into a hotel for the next two days. I'm going to write til I can't, then enjoy the scenery and the accoutrements. I will not be doing an Aaron Sorkin writing The American President, but I'm hoping it will be fun and make work more manageable.

Whatever gets you true, right?

Anyway, with that being said, the TV biz is in the midst of the TCA critics tour down in L.A. Lots of news out there, some of it interesting.

HBO Prez defended "that scene" in Rescue Me at the HBO session. (note to Canadians, spoilers for the third season which starts airing on Showcase Aug 29.) He also revealed that, due to Jimmy Gandolfini's knee surgery, the final 8 Sopranos won't come til March. But the 2nd -- and final -- season of Rome debuts Jan. 7.

I also haven't written about Brotherhood, whose first ep aired last week on Showtime in the USA and TMN in Eastern Canada. I loved it. I love it where you don't have to explain everything. I love when things are hinted at in TV and not spelled out. I love stories about two brothers. I think this show is going to be a new fave for me. I mention it now because the pilot is going to be replayed on CBS tomorrow night, Saturday, at 10pm. Way to drum up business for the pay channels. Sneaky, sneaky.

I just clicked over to the Futon Critic for other TCA (Television Critics Association) news and the sheer volume of stories there spiked my procrasto-meter. I don't have the time to read any of that stuff right now, but feel free to talk about whatever you read in the comments below. I'll weigh in when the monkey's off my back.

"Hello? Room service?"

9 comments:

wcdixon said...

"I've got a good job
And I'm newly born.
You should see me dressed up in my uniform.
I work in hotel, all gilt and flash.
Remember the place where the doors were smashed?

Bell Boy! I got to keep running now.
Bell Boy! Keep my lip buttoned down.
Bell Boy! Carry this baggage out.
Bell Boy! Always running at someone's heel.
You know how I feel, always running at someone's heel."

The Who

Brandon Laraby said...

Wow, I didn't realize just how hectic it can be... Hrmm, what am I trying to get myself into here? :P

Callaghan said...

Just to perk up your weekend Denis, click this link for info about the new Cracker tv movie.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/07/15/1685775.html

Callaghan said...

Hmmm, looks like the link didn't post properly. Cut and past what is there and then add "tml" to the end.

Or just go to the tv section of canoe.ca.

Kelly J. Crawford said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly J. Crawford said...

I was going to ask you to join me for supper on Fri. the 14th when I was in Toronto for my Black Tower meeting, Denis. But I know how bogged down with work you've been, so I thought I should leave you to it. Maybe next trip, though. You should give me your phone number.

Callaghan said...

Vegan???? Quite the opposite. But I do have to avoid spicy foods. Acid reflux, you know.

I'll bring a pie for dessert.

Kelly J. Crawford said...

What'cha makin'...should we bring wine?

Liver with fava beans and a nice chiante.

Sss-sss-sss-sss... :-)

KJC (who would love to have you all for dinner)

wcdixon said...

the motley crew dinner...too much tv talk, nobody brought anything worth eating, McGrath constantly barking "Now, what I hate about this is...", and everyone wondering when Josh Friedman will arrive...