Monday, July 10, 2006

Look Up in the Skyland. Wait. It's gone.

Promoting Canadian TV is even harder than Diane thinks. By accident yesterday, post World Cup head-buttie and post-dinner woozy, I happened to come across a show that I'd written that was airing for the first time.

Skyland is a Canada-UK-France co-pro. I wrote three scripts for this last year, and the first of mine, "King For a Day" came up yesterday. I tried to find airdates for this a few weeks ago, but beyond the first few eps and a repeat, they had no listings, even on Wikipedia.

Here lieth the Canadian TV problem.

Anyway, it's always strange to just stumble upon your work on TV. It's equally strange to think that something that people worked so hard on spills onto the air without fanfare.

In the end, I recognized quite a bit of my script - though not all of it. I chuckled at some of the things that had been softened because of notes, and I had to admit that the strange lifelessness of that CG mo-cap look nevertheless does not diminish the beauty of the show's look. It's beautiful looking, that is for sure. Simplifying the MacGuffin in the episode kind of worked. I guess. And miracle of miracles, even one or two of the jokes I put in there made it through story editing (when you're dealing with international co-pros, the jokes never make it through.)

Anyway, it was a fun show to work on, and all the people involved with the Canadian side of the production that I met were extremely professional and wicked nice.

If I was a 10 year old kid I'd think Skyland was a really cool show. I mean, I loved Battle of the Planets when I was 10, and that show made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Still. Zoltar rules.

Skyland airs in Canada on Teletoon, weekends at 7:30 p.m. In the USA it can be seen on Nicktoons.

6 comments:

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Yikes. That's really sad that even you didn't know about it. I'm finding that many shows that provide episode summaries don't tell you when those specific episodes are going to air, so it's really difficult to promote them in advance. And most shows don't provide episode summaries. But I would have thought the people involved knew when they'd air.

Cunningham said...

An analogous feeling I suppose is when I went into Wal Mart one day and saw SCARECROW in the bargain bin...

but there were a couple of kids poking about, so not all is lost.

Anonymous said...

Hey, so you wrote some of the script for that episode? Cool! It just aired over here in Australia and I'm really enjoying the series. Yay for some of your jokes getting through, you weren't responsible for the 'shame on me... no you' one, were you? I loved that.

Anyway, it's a great show, very beautiful animation and lets just say I'm older than 10, and I still think it's cool.;)

Anonymous said...

I know what you're saying. I live in Aus, it airs once a week, every week at a nice easy time, but I've had a few Americans saying how they want to watch it, but have no idea when it's on.

You did a great job with that episode, it was really enjoyable. I'll have to keep an eye out for your name in the credits. :)

Anonymous said...

Just started watching this show today. It is great. The premise is new and something different. Science is a bit out there but fun all the same.

misfit assassin said...

'king for a day' happened to be one of my favourites... i wish it still showed in the UK... it got cut off half way through the seriese.