Day 1 of the aftermath played out exactly the way that Day 1 always plays out in the U.S. Media: lots of plucky stories and footage of people being hoisted from roofs by helicopters.
Now the ugly reality is settling in: after predicting apocalpyse, and then doing the media's favorite contraction dance - oh it wasn't that bad after all! Yay! - we're seeing that the Ponchartrain levee was seriously breached, waters in New Orleans are rising, (cue Tragically Hip song here) and the search for "heroes and easy answers" gets harder. Oh. And the dead start to pile up. Day 2 of a disaster is where I usually switch to print coverage. I don't need my human tragedy sensationalized at that point. My favorite quote of the Front Page story in Today's Globe & Mail:
In a sign of the deepening crisis, U.S. President George W. Bush cut short his Texas vacation to return to Washington in order to oversee the federal response to the disaster, the most costly hurricane ever to hit the United States.
Yes, folks, the crisis is certainly deepening if Dubya's back in D.C.
Gee, George, maybe you should tell them governors to mobilize all their National Gua...oh...right.
And before the idiot dittohead brigade gets going, Let me just state for the record that I'm not pro-hurricane.
Sad.
4 comments:
Dear Writer Boy,
So now you have a blog. Well, whoop-de-doo. And guess what? Now I have one, too. I had to create one in order to respond to yours. Which doesn't seem fair.
Anyway, my response. Yes, yes. Bla bla bla. Lots of stuff about natural disasters and Canadian television. If there's a difference. The thing is, my good man, you've nothing here about ME.
I searched in vain for my name, and yet, nothing. Don't you think this is information people want? What does ROB think? What is ROB doing right now? Is he fixing a snack? Combing his thick, luxurious hair? Wanking to blogs?
I've said too much. The point is, there is really just not near enough here about your good friend Rob. I don't even need my last name used. In fact, I'd prefer you not use it. I don't need to officially linked to the insane ramblings of a clearly-unhinged shut-in.
The first name will do. And do note, please, that I'm not requesting this for the edification of my own frail ego. I'm doing you a favour here. Give the people what they want. More ROB. More of the time. Please don't make them go to my blog for this crucial information. I have no time to update it -- busy as I am, not to mention driven and incredibly ambitious.
Someone needs a "spotweld"...
ROB (tm) is the answer
To all your comedy writing needs.
ROB is the single greatest scribe to ever put thumb to keyboard. He is the toast of Europe. Dutch royalty consult him before making any moves that could be construed as "funny." ROB helps to make Canada a bright and beautiful place. ROB comes freshly laundered, with that new ROB smell. ROB has a voice that makes the young girls cry. ROB is music -- and he writes the songs.
Now go back to your Naked Josh scripts, you eejit.
But is ROB 100% organic?
I have to think of my health.
Post a Comment