Tuesday, April 20, 2010

But How Was It, Really?

YOU CAN READ all about the winners of the 2010 Canadian Screenwriting Awards here, but c'mon... how was the party

Packed in like newts, nobody shut up til Peter Mitchell quieted them down with a hilarious & digified speech, and host Deb Digiovanni hosted like a champ.   Oh and I finally got to talk to (sigh) Geri Hall.

But never mind me. What did y'all think?

Great Event. What I liked: a) Amazing food, thank god, due to (b) Awesome open bar that (c) Stayed open/free after the ceremony. Loved Shelley Eriksen's speech about Peter Mitchell [Where she explained that "he does not hate you, he is just socially awkward"]- very lovely, not to mention Emmy/Oscar-worthy. My only complaint was the volume - it was almost impossible to hear anybody, but hey, that's apparently what the kids like. I just think next time it should maybe be held in a forest.   ANNE FENN

Thought the show was terrific, even though longer than it has been.  But that was our fault, we wrote too much.  Deborah de Giovanni was killer.  So much energy!  Lowlight -- still how much people talk during the awards.  Highlight -- John Krizanc.  His acceptance speech nailed the irreverence (how's that for Canadian understatement?) we aimed for when these awards were first created.   CHARLES LAZER

It is great just to be nominated, but it is a little disappointing not to win.  I always seek comfort in quantum physics which posits that, in a parallel universe, I did win, while in another parallel universe I was too busy defending the princess against an invading army of nazi dinosaurs to even worry about it.  DENNIS HEATON

Who dosed John Krizanc with sodium pentathol before he got to the podium? God damn Miss Eriksen gives good speech and congrats to Pete Mitchell - so deserved that award.  MATT MACLENNAN 

Highlight:  discovering that @wcdixon doesn’t just live between the bits and bytes of the Internet Lowlight:  discovering that not everyone thought ‘and the minister tweets’ was as funny as I did KELLY LYNNE ASHTON (WGC Director of Policy) 

It's clear the recession has still got its hold on writers, judging by the number of people cadging cigarettes last night instead of carrying their own. And I have to say I miss the good old days when there JUST WEREN'T THAT MANY PEOPLE.  Are we all really competing with THAT MANY PEOPLE?  That being said, I thought the cheers for nominated writers were heartfelt and heartwarming.  Great to hear our own applauding our own.  And hey, brave of Shelley Scarrow to admit to all our fears when she accepted her award.  Highlight for me, though, had to be Pete Mitchell getting the mentorship award.  Long overdue - even if the award's only lasted a few years.  SHELLEY ERIKSEN


Heather Conkie wins Showrunner of the Year– first woman to win ever!  She was Dear Aunt Agnes!! (the 3 people I was standing with didn’t know what that was, but some random guy at the bar said, “yes! I loved that show!) ALEX HOUSE


Among many, some highlights include Heather Conkie taking home the Showrunner Award  [For Heartland, a show that in its 4th season pulls close to 2 million viewers every Sunday night on CBC] Shelley Scarrow's speech and dress, Debra DiGiovanni's hosting and material co-written by Steve and Daniel Shehori, Shelley Eriksen's introduction to Pete Mitchell, and Pete Mitchell's advice on managing a writing staff and, inadvertently, marriage: give [them] space [to do their thing].

Lowlight: it's the same drill every year but so many writers talking through the awards to honor writers in an industry where we complain about our voices not being heard.  I kept this short because you asked for 25 words or less (as if!) but I could go on. The biggest highlight is and always will be connecting with writers I mostly only see on these occasions unless I'm fortunate enough to be working with them.  KAREN McCLELLAN

From Peter Mitchell to Heather Conkie's exceptionally graceful speeches about how much they've learned from the writers they've worked with, the importance of mentorship in this industry is something that can easily be glossed over, so it was brilliant to see it celebrated. Oh, and the cupcakes and free booze were nice.  ELIZE MORGAN


Once again I had a blast. The WGC National Forum and Writers Guild Awards party was like my Martin Blank high school reunion in Gross Pointe, but without the awkward and messy pen kill by the lockers...though I was tempted to take out Mitchell just for being so awesome. And I learned to accept 'Hey I know you from the internet!' as my thang. And was really happy to see Rob Cooper win for his Stargate Universe script. Congrats and cheers to all. WILL DIXON

Lowlight -- I didn't get to chat with you. Shithead.  CYNTHIA KNIGHT 


Alrigthy then.  That's a wrap.  Feel free to continue it in the comments below. 





  

10 comments:

Gorillamydreamz said...

Highlights - Host Deb Digiovanni turning the evening into a deliciously catty water cooler chat with your hilarious, bitchy friend. John Krizanc (Winner of MOW & MINISERIES for The Summit) taking truthtelling to new heights like a Sherpa of Bitter Honesty. And sitting with Mr. McGrath watching an old pal do a kitten impression while Donny Osmond's "Go Away Little Girl" played on a continuous loop in my head. -Rob Pincombe

Gorillamydreamz said...

Lowlights - Standing in one spot for an hour and a half in painfully uncomfortable shoes because the show writers forgot there are no chairs at these events. Seriously, give us a place to sit down and then the show (which otherwise was fantastic) can go as long as you want! - Rob Pincombe

Speranza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Speranza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frank "Dolly" Dillon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Speranza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Speranza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Speranza said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DMc said...

Speranza,

You posted a 700 word comment on an 800 word article. You leapt off a comment specifically on point (someone’s speech on the awards night) and chose to spin out a long disquisition on self-obsession, Picasso, Charlie Kaufman as examples of ‘true’ artists. The heart really sinks when you start talking about “masks as prisons” & then, inevitably begin to refer to quantum physics.

I have a choice here. And it’s a fielder’s choice, to be sure. But it is a choice. What we find in this internet garden is that left untended, comment streams seem to become unruly. People start yelling at each other. There’s trash talking by mental midgets & off point meanders that threaten to derail anyone who wishes to participate in the subject at hand.

The effect of your comment, and the one hundred comments that will follow in a similar vein – since we’ve been down this road before in a different context you and I, be honest – is to strangle debate or strangle comments by others who don’t want to talk Quantum Physics or this philosopher or the independencies of the universe when really, we’re just dishing on a stupid party.

Reading social cues is something that writers have to learn to be successful in their endeavors. It’s often something that doesn’t come natural to the writer class. In your case, I don’t know if the type of comments you proffer come from a place of never having a thought that isn’t deep & meaningful, or being off your meds. I just know that it makes me uneasy. And the fact that you chose to re-post a deleted comment means you’re not capable of taking a hint.

So this is where mania turns to hate then – any more like that’s getting deleted. The end. The subject here is TV. It might have something to do with God or it might not – and if it does, I’d love it if you explored the connection on YOUR BLOG.

Frank "Dolly" Dillon said...

i am confused by the poster