Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Things That Make Me Laugh

I'M ON A bunch of email lists at the various Canadian networks.  I'm regularly shovelled press releases, 90% of them for shows that I have zero interest in. (Have I *ever* written about The Bachelor? No? Precedent set, then.) 


But I do get them.  And sometimes they're on point.  And most of the time, at the very least if they manage to get the time and channel right (not always a given in the Canadian media game) they can be useful.  


So it was that I half-remember receiving a press release about a new Doctor Who special airing on the SPACE channel here sometime in the next few weeks...


...Hang on, if I'm going to blog this I guess I should do the plug.  Okay. There.  


January 2nd at 8pm, after a full day of a Doctor Who marathon, the SPACE channel will have the Canadian premiere of David Tennant's last Doctor Who appearance, Doctor Two: End of Time.  
There we go. Plug over.


Anyway, the release isn't the funny part. The funny part is the follow up received this morning.  And I don't know if you're going to find it funny or not. But see, I worked at the Space channel for years, and had many many interactions with those lovable Sci-fi fans, and especially the very -- how are we going to put this -- particular Doctor Who diehards.


And so, for whatever reason, I found this funny:



So, there you go, citizens.  I've blocked out the publicist's name out of sheer human decency, but I'm sure that she (or he) is now resting comfortably at Ivan Fecan's Cottage Country chalet-bunker, contemplating his (or her) return to civilian life under a new identity.


That is all.

6 comments:

Brandon Laraby said...

That... ahhh...

Yeah, that made my day.

Thank you.

Peter Saunders said...

Yes, as an editor myself, I love this kind of thing.

I also love how in a 24-7 news world, PR folks actually think sending out a 'correction' after a press release is a realistic form of damage control. (Though, as in this case, there's generally no said damage to be controlled.)

Anonymous said...

Doctor Two?

Anonymous said...

Ah, but then she mistakenly referred to it as a "booth" and not a "ship". Better send out a correction on her correction.

Unknown said...

They call themselves real fans, yet they did not convince the Doctor to go back in time and change this egregious mistake before it was released to the public. N00bs . . ..

Anonymous said...

Seriously, thanks for the plug; I wouldn't have known about End of Time otherwise. Ditto this weekend's broadcast of The Waters of Mars, which I discovered while setting the PVR.