MANAGED TO SCORE some episodes of the eighth season of SPOOKS, the Brit show that's one of the inspirations for The Border.
One of the things you sometimes see on Brit dramas are dodgy American accents. Spooks/MI-5 has had its good and its bad over the years. In the current series (the show's eighth) Irish Actress Genevieve O'Reilly takes on the role of the new CIA Liasion to MI-5.
But it's not the accent that jars.
Nope, in the second episode, she takes on a false identity, that of "Victoria Franklin," who she id's as named after "her favorite U.S. President."
Ouch.
I suppose you could say she was taking the name from Franklin Roosevelt, or hell, even Franklin Pierce. But most Americans in the know, seeing as it's the last name, would probably associate it with Ben Franklin.
Who of course...was never President.
Ouch.
It's the little things that will kill ya. I remember in my 1st ep of The Border, we scripted chatter between scrambled F-16's and the ground. And there was a hole in the cut where the stock would go. And when the stock got put in, of course, the plane was an F-15. D'oh!
People notice.
Nitpickers.
Like me.
Curse you, Internets!
5 comments:
I'm sorry my fault... I couldn't tell an F-16 from an F-15 to rainbow sprinkled donut. But, in the end they were the right shots for the 'stock hole'. Regardless of the type of plane, the shots of the F-15's were the most dynamic and told the story better than any of the other stock shots we had. So of the people that watched the show, 95% watched the show and let the F-15 shots tell the story and were exciting to propel the plot, the other 5% decided to let the wrong plane model affect their enjoyment.
Still though, my fault. Silly Douche am I.
No, I agree with you those were the right shots.
I hate people on the internet that nitpick.
I hate myself.
Carry on sir.
Her accent gets better - at least it gets more consistent. But what they do with the character is really -- interesting.
*shrugs*
Whattaya gonna do?
Surely you meant "it's not ONLY the accent that jars."
It has to be, by far, the WORST American accent I've ever heard on British TV - worse, even, than the appalling attempts at the Australian accent on British and US television and film. It is utterly jarring and pulls me right out of the scene every time she is on screen.
I keep hoping that at some point it will be revealed that she's not actually American, but then there would have to be some explanation for why noone picked up the bad, bloody accent - and, no, Lucas' eight years in a Russian prison wouldn't even excuse missing it!
Whew! It's good to get that out lol!
Post a Comment