Thursday, December 3, 2009

DMc: Bold Cultural Commentator, Massive Douche? Or Both?

WELL COLOUR ME SURPRISED.


The podcast is now up for my appearance on CBC Radio Q yesterday.


The discussion starts around 21:30 with an interview with the (surprisingly reasonable) Communications Director from the Parents Television Council, and continues with me and Timothy Jay, the author of Cursing in America: A Psycholinguistic Study of Dirty Language in the Courts, in the Movies, in the Schoolyards and on the Streets



Wow that title alone makes me want to drop an F-bomb or two.

Interestingly enough, although I immediately heard from the usual passel of friends and well-wishers saying, "heard you! sounds good" -- the fact that I also got more than one email from people who remain "highly offended" by the use of the word "douche" on TV (and by Michael Buble's use of the word to describe himself on Q, which sparked the segment yesterday in the first place.)


Now my impulse is to say, "wow, with everything people have to worry about, we make a stand on language on TV? Really?" That certainly seems to be one of the prevailing sentiments on the Q blog about the subject.

And yet...and yet... the response I got makes this easily the most controversial appearance I've had on the show. Even though I would argue that I've said way more provocative things on the radio in the past. Goes to show that whatever the conventional wisdom says, people will care about what they care about, not what you think they should care about. It's a good lesson for writers to always keep in mind.



So yeah, maybe it might be great to kill your hero or get that cat...


...but then again. Maybe not. Not if it makes the audience hate you.


One of the negative emails I got to the appearance raised the point that as a man, I really had no right to pass judgement one way or another on the use of the word 'douche.' I'd like to excerpt a little of what I wrote back. I started by pointing out that I think Jay made the point of the segment when he said that society cannot function where we go by what riles the most-easily offended. Then I wrote:


I also really think we hit a slippery slope if the only metric of whether something is offensive or not comes with the proper sex organs or racial orientation attached. What is the difference between that and the argument that only black people can write books featuring black characters, or only deaf people can play deaf people in the movies?  A non-disabled actor has no ability to play someone in a wheelchair?  I don't want to create art in that world.  It's a trap.

South Park did a pretty interesting episode a couple of weeks ago where a similar issue was explored around the use of the word "faggot."   The boys used the word to describe Motorcycle riding guys who were obnoxious, and were taken to task for being homophobic, though it was clear from their stunned reactions that the boys didn't associate that word with "gay" at all.  During the episode they managed to sneak in some of the etymology of "faggot" in there -- and uncovered that long before its association with gay people, it had other meanings -- women, heretics, soldiers drafted into armies and on and on.  Meanings change.

Similarly, where do we go with "bitch?" There's a word that was rehabilitated, robbed of its power largely by -- not women -- but gay men using it with each other, reframing it to something harmless.  That was a pretty serious word to throw around when I was a child.  Now it's mild enough that a singer could have a hit song saying "I'm a bitch, I'm a lover...etc etc." Damn catchy song.  All for the better.

I recognize that there are people out there who do find the word offensive. But the problem here is that you find it offensive because of a usage and a connotation completely divorced from the context of its current use.  By that logic, we should all not be able to use "damn" because to highly religious people, "damning" someone is serious business. 

In high school, I learned the danger of living in a context where what was offensive hewed to the most conservative definition.  I was banned from doing school announcements because I said, "What the hell?" in relation to something -- and that offended one of the highly Christian teachers.

I think in Canada, part of the reason why our art is so mild much of the time is that we use that same metric.  And I don't think it's good for either pushing the envelope of art, discourse and society.  
The other point I never got to make on the radio was that, of course, I do consider that portion of the audience (which includes my Sainted Catholic Papa, by the way) when I'm writing dialogue and cursing into dramatic scripts. One of the differences of opinions I employed on a recent show was where I'd try to shy away, whenever possible, from using "Goddamn!" or characters saying, "Jesus Christ!" because I know that there is still a very large segment of the population that might otherwise have no problem with what I was writing that would view the use of those words as a dealbreaker. Seeing as I was writing for a public broadcaster, and you could easily get at the intent and the cadence and truth of the scene by employing other salty language instead, I generally try to avoid using those epithets. Not because I'm censoring myself, but because the need to use those specific terms is low. And sometimes I think there are writers who'd use them MORE because they disagreed with religion so much that they were delighted to "stick it" to the faithful.


Now, does that make me inconsistent with the use of the word "douche?" I don't think so, cause I don't think that the opinion on that word is anywhere near as settled and universal as the number of people who'd be offended by dropping "Goddamnit!" into a script.


Does that make me a hypocrite? Or merely a big douche?


Couldn't resist. Sorry. Have at it in the comments below.

18 comments:

John McFetridge said...

And sometimes I think there are writers who'd use them MORE because they disagreed with religion so much that they were delighted to "stick it" to the faithful.

Wait, isn't it the character's voice, not the writer's?

Now, certainly you're right, with everything going on today worrying about this stuff seems trite, but this is one of those subtle things that may matter. The use of "Jesus Christ" and "God damned" has become less frequent on TV and in the movies over the years and that's directly the result of lobbying from American Christian groups.

An awful lot of Canadians still use those expressions everyday and aren't as offended.

On the show I worked on last year we were given memos from the American broadcaster that included words we couldn't use that included "Jesus Christ," and "God damned," and a few more that were 'religious,' but still very common in Canada.

Cunningham said...

Massive douche.

However I must say you do get rid of that "not so fresh feeling" afterward, and the pine scent is invigorating.

But I am holding out for "new car smell" when it debuts next year...

DMc said...

John, I think we have to be careful not to mix two different -- but linked -- subjects here.

I was talking about situations where you're divining writer intent, separate and apart from network dictates.

If the character is defined by being anti-religion, that's another matter. There was nothing more thrilling to me than hearing Jed Bartlet curse out God in Latin in the West Wing...that was badass.

I'm just talking about your garden variety swearing. On broadcast, especially where religious-based cursing really, really offends someone else's belief system, I just don't see the harm of staying away from it when you can. And no, I meant writers who work it in because they can, precisely because it is offensive to those people -- and offensive pretty universally offensive to people with that set of beliefs.

Especially if you're working on the public network. The religious pay taxes, too.

The other part of what you're nosing up against is a question of what kind of interference a US network partner exercises over the content of a majority Canadian financed show. Language standards on Canadian channels have always been laxer. You could get away with the occasional "shit" and other curses short of Ye Olde F-Bomb.

The fact that those "community standards" are now being subverted to more conservative US standards is a separate and worthy issue -- going hand in hand with content arguments like how you handle things like gay marriage and marijuana use and even abortion -- all subjects that retain controversy here, but nowhere near US levels, and subjects that traditionally could be dealt with in Canadian drama.

I'm not disputing the fact that that's changed...or that the implications of that change are quite culturally serious -- I'm just saying it's a different issue than the one I was speaking to.

John McFetridge said...

Yeah, sure, different but linked, I agree with that.

The link can be pretty foggy sometimes, of course.

Now, when you say, "Especially if you're working on the public network. The religious pay taxes, too," of course, you're right.

But also because it's the public network there is something to be said for a fair and real representation of the characters.

Here, let's cut to the chase; you worked on a show set in Newfoundland. Now, you're going to hear a lot of very colourful language on the rock and the public broadcaster has some responsibility to get that on screen, I think.

And, sure, some people will complain. If the dialogue is a good representation of the way the people actually speak it gets us into the tricky area of what we "should" put on the public broadcaster - the way people really talk or the way they would talk if they worried about offending some people.

I realize this seems like a small thing but it seems we've taken quite a few steps backwards in the last decade or so.

Frank "Dolly" Dillon said...

looking forward to "poo my dad says" on cbs

Andrew Masuda said...

I missed the entire show due to low volume radio at work. I just hate the word "douche" because of how it sounds. That said, the insult is very colourful and I just don't see much of a problem with it being used on public airwaves or in common discourse, save that the sound of the word itself makes me shudder.

When I worked in radio, we discussed cussin' on-air a lot. I take issue with people who do it simply because they can, because you can end up having to devote a lot of resources to dealing with obscenity complaints. If you have a good reason for using the words in the first place, it makes it a lot easier and cheaper to defend the right to say these things.

Finally, I'm a big fan of having good tools to use in my efforts to communicate. Overuse, or misuse, makes communication harder. A well-placed 'fuck', or even 'douchebag', can lend the kind of emphasis that may be required.

PS said...

Oh, I almost forgot, fellow babies...

”Booger!"


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0789732/

DMc said...

John, if you'd like to write a guest post on that subject, you're more than welcome to.

In my experience over the last few years, and the anecdotal experience of others I know who've been writing shows for both public and private OTA channels, there has been no restriction as tight or as onerous as those currently being imposed by the US network deal.

I maintain though that this is still a very different subject than what the radio interview, the post, and my follow up was about.

StargazerXL said...

Eat me, Denis. Just eat me.

jimhenshaw said...

Like you, I'm not sure why this is even an issue anymore. When the plot of a "2 and a Half Men" episode doesn't resort to any perceived profanities and yet is all about hiring a hooker, what difference does it make which words the lead character uses to describe the sex acts involved?

Back in the day, I used to be able to make deals with CBS S&P trading two "bitches" for a "bastard" or one "Putz" for a "Suck". But there was also a secret agreement that if you could slip in a big word that would encourage some in the audience to look up, they'd give you an extra semi-profanity.

So I'd have guys talk about meeting an "intermediary" so I could later have him call somebody a "sonovabitch". I can't tell you the number of times I had cops writing reports ask somebody, "How do you spell (insert word here)?" to balance off going all potty mouth elsewhere.

It was a great trade off that I've never been able to find since. And it made a lot of sense, kind of like carbon offsets for talking dirty.

As far as "Douche" goes, I believe Michael Buble's usage was correct.

DMc said...

oooh, you managed to leverage a further put down off of Buble's self-insult! That is a like the triple lutz of putdowns, Henshaw. Well, well done.

Brandon Laraby said...

I wonder if anyone remembers the short-lived spin-off show 'Uncle Buck' (off the movie of the same name).

Or the uproar over one of the kids saying:

"Uncle Buck, You Suck".

Man, has TV ever changed.

Allan Sorensen said...

I heard the podcast.
You managed to "sound" opinionated, yet said absolutely nothing, just like your earlier appearance on Metro Morning.
You actually had nothing to add, and even Jian was getting bored with your contribution.
How does telling the old tale about the Lucy show add anything to the discussion? It doesn't.
keep it Denis, the more people you're exposed to as a bag of wind the better.

DMc said...

Thanks, Douche!

Ken said...

Talking about bags, whatever happened to the original gem: douche bag? As in, "that guy with the earlier comment is a douche bag."

DMc said...

Yes, but a particular flavour of douche bag. (That's right, I went there.) Allan is one of those particular internet obsessives who derives self-esteem by tearing down anyone he thinks gets more attention than him, which is, let's face it...everyone.

In the service of that, there's a certain comfort in knowing that he will always be around to tell me how worthless my pundrity is, as evidenced by his absolute, obsessive and attentive consumption of every moment of every appearance I ever make.

Characteristics of this type of douche include: burning resentment, feeling that everyone thinks they're better than you, and utter humorlessness.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Elton John have a hit song with the word 'bitch' in the title way back in 1974?

DMc said...

Where I lived in the USA they pretty consistently bleeped it when it was on the radio. And then dropped it when it wasn't a hit. Remember AM was more regulated than FM

There is of course waxing and waning. Right about that Watergate time was also when the George Carlin obscenity trials and court rulings were going on. FM would frequently play stuff unbleeped, which went to the Supreme Court in 1978. Things tightened a lot after that, and then came the Reagan years.

I think it's analogous to the films you'd see pre and post Hayes code, and what happened to Comic books once the regs came in there in the 1940s or so.