BECAUSE THEY HAVE made worms' meat of us...
Seal up the mouth of outrage for a while,
Till we can clear these ambiguities,
And know their spring, their head, their
true descent;
And then will I be general of your woes,
And lead you even to death: meantime forbear,
And let mischance be slave to patience.
Bring forth the parties of suspicion.
-WM. Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet, V, iii
And I for winking at your discords too
Have lost a brace of kinsmen: all are punish'd.
Romeo & Juliet, V, iii
By I, I mean anybody working in Canadian TV. And by
all are punish'd I mean, stay tuned, bub. Stay tuned.
2 comments:
You have misquoted Shakespeare. "A plague on both your houses" is Mercutio's line as he is dying in Act III Scene 1, and you have added it to lines spoken by the Prince in Act V Scene 3. The word "pox" is not used in this play.
Not actually so up to date catching that one, are we? And yet we're all still here.
I'm well aware of Romeo & Juliet & the line, having performed in the play a couple times, and studied it.
Pox was deliberate as I felt "plague" was a bit harsh in the circumstances. But wishing a Pox on someone seemed a trifle less final.
And if you'll note, I did continue the Mercutio couplet but broke out the actual Prince lines for the actual quote.
And really, wasn't I doing exactly what Shakespeare did with his source material through all those plays? He wasn't as concerned with biography & detail as with impact. I always find it amusing, in light of that, when people get nitty about details of Shakespeare.
Seems to me that's missing the point of the joy of the story & craft -- and the 'why' behind its endurance for five centuries.
But whatever. To each his own. Thanks very much for taking time for the correction.
BTW, any comment on the point of the post?
Post a Comment