Tuesday, January 27, 2009

CTF Renewed

ONE OF THE things to come out of today's Canadian Budget:

Toronto, January 27, 2009 - The Canadian Television Fund (CTF) today thanked the Government of Canada for its decision to renew the Fund at the current level for two years.

“The Government’s commitment to Canadian television ensures the continued viability of this growth industry,” said Valerie Creighton, President and CEO of the CTF. “It enables Canadian producers to continue innovating and creating shows that are successful both at home and abroad. It strengthens the Canadian economy by sustaining over 22,000 jobs generated by CTF-funded shows and by advancing the already expansive global sales of these productions. And it gives Canadians inspiring and entertaining television shows to watch.”



This is big because the CTF has been something the Tories were not talking about AT ALL. So though Henshaw might not be pleased, at least we don't have to blow up the system while everything else melts.

Same level for two years is the best news we could get in this economy. I'm actually surprised. And relieved.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, this is good news. Amid all the CRTC and "broadcast standards" hooplah, was worried CTF might be a secondary target to make go ... pphht.

jimhenshaw said...

Dude, why would I be angry? now let's see how much of it goes to "commercial' and how much goes to "culture".

DMc said...

I made that point badly -- I was trying for a "blow up the system" Henshaw-y thing but that's not scanning right. I'm lame. Sorry.

jimhenshaw said...

Nothing to be sorry about.

If everybody here wants to keep sucking the nanny state tit in order to continue making the baby poo that usually leads to, go nuts.

Happier now -- ;)