PEOPLE ARE STARTING to trickle toward the door here at Dead Things Labs. The last train out of Sticksville is going to be packed with word-workers holding their Christmas bonus hams and complementary box of 3 Lindor chocolates. Clearly, the publishing here will be light during the holidays. But there are a few fireworks to be had coming in the next few weeks.
We'll have a preview of two upcoming CBC series: Wild Roses and Being Erica. (Promos for both are now up at CBC.CA and are running on CBC now.)
We're also going to delve in the New Year into a subject that's bound to be a controversial one: the CRTC hearings to determine the future of new media regulation. It'll be fascinating to see how this one plays out in 'big media.' The small and measured calls for an ISP levy (on the big 7 internet providers, the same ones who charge you a 'system access fee' for cells for..um...no reason) are already being called an "internet tax." The internet community is prepping to freak out in the same way they always freak out -- in this case, stoked by the fact that ACTRA is pushing a ridiculous plan to regulate everything, yes, including your YouTube videos. Stupid. I'm working up a post laying out the WGC's position on this, which is very different than even what's been reported so far. Even the normally sensible Michael Geist is buying the big cable spin on this one. We'll see.
In response to a couple of reader questions, and a couple of recent teaching stints, and meetings (via Ink Canada) with newbies, I'm going to write up something I don't think I've ever gotten into before, which is the story of how I broke in to the business.
All that, and maybe a year end inspiration list. So there'll be posts. Just maybe flurries instead of a full on blizzard.
So grab your scarf and mitts, quaff your 'Nog, hug somebody who needs it, be extra generous to those who need it and be good to each other, Holiday-wise. Your brother simply can't help being that way, and your mother means well, even if she does seem a bit passive aggresive sometimes.
And if you're looking for something to do over the holidays, why not write a cheerful postcard to a Canadian soldier serving in Afghanistan?
Silent night, bitches. Seacrest out.
4 comments:
Yeah McGrath, who'd you f*ck to get in this biz...that's what I wanna know.
Happy holidays big guy.
Hey, it's *Canadian* Tv. I thought here you had to f*ck someone to get OUT of the biz...
Oh yeah...right. Who do I need to f*ck...tell me, NOW!
Did I miss the post on how you got into the biz?
Also: I'm reading The War of Art now - and it's great. Thanks for talking it up.
Post a Comment