Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sometimes You Win One

A WEEK BEFORE the Canadian Federal Election, and the Conservatives have finally released their platform. Details are here, and here, but the important thing from an Arts point of view is that the censorious, industry-crippling portion of Bill C10 will not be reintroduced.

I don't know if there's any other way to spin this than this: we won.

The Conservatives thought they were going to ride on the back of increased Quebec support to a majority. But their anti-culture baiting has had a deleterious effect in the part of the country that actually venerates and fiercely supports homegrown culture.

Is it too little too late to bring their fortunes back? I must say, it's quite an interesting turnaround. Guess we'll see.

Meanwhile, if you're in Toronto tomorrow around lunchtime, why not come help keep the heat on, and help make culture an election issue. At 11:30 there will be a rally outside the CBC building on Front Street.


I'll be popping over from set of my last ep of The Border to give one of the (hopefully mercifully short) speeches. Truth to power, my friends. Sometimes it works. Come on out and show how ordinary Canadians populate our cultural industries.

And be sure to say 'hi.'

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Dammit, I wish I could've gone.
I look forward to your thoughts & report on it, however!

And... keep up the good work, Denis. You rock.

ME said...

Great turnout and seriously great speeches by you and Eric Petersen and Mark McKinney and the opera singer guy who's name I forget. And nice to see it got a little news coverage! But who was that woman at the end who jumped on stage and what was she saying? It didn't make a lot of sense.

Jennifer Smith said...

Well done, sir. I've got photos and video up at my place. McKinney's speech is up now - yours and (most of) Peterson's should be up shortly.

Yours was by far the longest. But also the best.