First, let us visit a plug for The Border on Torontoist today. Their amusing TV columnist (and sometime Q-Tube Team Associate) Christopher Bird, writes what has got to be the most Canadian plug I have ever, ever read:
The Border has been back for a couple of weeks now and it is still pretty good in its competent, Canadian way. Televisualist does not watch it as a matter of course, but every so often sits down to watch a couple of Tivoed episodes, and it never fails to entertain us moderately. So this is our low-key, relaxed recommendation of the show. (CBC, 9 p.m.)
So, there you go. Christopher, thank you ever so much for that mention today, and thank you also for being a member of a very desirable demographic. If you could clone yourself and get a Nielsen box, the CBC would be very happy. Also, if you could please befriend two women between the ages of 25 to 54 and have them watch (uh, hang on...I'm just getting word, um...yes... preferably closer to 25,) that would really be super, thanks.
Secondly, if you've got a PVR you're probably aware of the little blurbs that come up when you cycle through the menu. I was quite amused to see this yesterday when I was setting up to record my episode tonight (CBC, 9pm)
The Border: CBC 9-10 P.M.: An international terrorist targets a cartoonist in Toronto.
I know what you're thinking, "has Family Circus finally gone too far?" But no. Boiling down plot elements to loglines is a bit of a glib gift, especially when you're supposed to have twists and turns in a show.
What's funny, of course, besides the fact that it's about as "grabby" as, well, a turnip, that logline would be like taking an episode of Law & Order that was about, oh, I don't know, a society murder related to Hormone Replacement Therapy gone wrong and describing it as "The detectives interview a Korean Grocer."
Ah well. Live and loin.
For all I know, we might have supplied this to the cable co's. For all I know somewhere in the dark past I might have even read this and approved it with the old thumbs up. All I'm trying to say is, last night at 11:30, it was pretty hilarious. But it's not exactly representative of the show.
Finally, here's a short behind the scenes for Ep. 2. If you feel like it, tune in The Border tonight and let me know what you think. And if you come back to this space in the next couple days, I'll be talking about what I learned writing that episode, and what I think I could maybe have done better.
Now, I'm off to a read through for Episode 12. Enjoy the beautiful fall day.
3 comments:
i share your bemusement -- i worked on a canadian show for years, sweat blood tears the whole nine yards -- the most complimentary compliment "actually pretty good". we printed t-shirts for the crew.
My favourite description of an upcoming episode, bar none, is Global's announcement of a King of the Hill episode back in 2003: "Someone's doing something on King of the Hill! find out what -- next on Global!" At least that Border description lets us know that it involves exciting things like violence and cartoonists.
I'm that female demographic, unfortunately toward the wrong end. I tried to watch The Border last year and found it too angsty, too much about the glower (Horatio Kane lite?), too much about those awful Americans. (I am one, living in Canada. I agree that we're awful in our own charming way, but I live it...do I have to see it during entertainment, too?)
But I watched last night and was very interested. Could NOT predict the plot or the dialogue. I can recite dialogue in unison with CSI Miami, even if I haven't seen the episode before, because YOU KNOW WHAT THEY WILL SAY. Not so with The Border.
Truthfully--I watched last night because we get 2 channels plus TVO occasionally, and you're up against Dancing with the Stars. But now, I will tune in again on purpose.
I thoroughly enjoy this blog, too.
Post a Comment