First, let's move a bit to context. It's no secret that politicians often feel freer to say what they really think when they get out of office. Even still, I was struck by the candor of the criticism by former PM Jean Chretien in the Globe and Mail the other day.
What's funnier is that Marcus Gee responded with a feel good, Canada-does-matter retort piece the next day. In there was a line I found particularly interesting:
Canada may not be the world's heaviest hitter, but it's not Togo, either. A member of the Group of Seven, it has the world's ninth-biggest economy. A reputation for fair dealing has made us a respected voice in the world – when we choose to speak. Canada spoke up about racism in South Africa and played a leading role in ending apartheid.
Which may or may not be true. But here's something else that's true: in five months living and working in Cape Town, South Africa, I got to have many, many conversations with South Africans -- black, white, and "colored" (their term) about the end of apartheid.
Never once did Canada come up.
And they knew I was there working on a Canadian co-production.
You know what did come up? The United States, especially when Reagan died. Reagan was not a beloved figure in South Africa, thanks to his dragging heels on apartheid.
Gee's "aw shucks, people really want to hear what Canada has to say" is exactly the same kind of myopic pap that feeds Canadians' collective ego. And the cancellation of the programs promoting Canadian artists abroad is exactly the opposite action to take if you, like Gee, want to feel comfortable in that "everybody loves Canada" bubble.
But then again, the Tories don't seem to mind putting fiscal prudence, common sense, or even science behind the all-important ideology.
For my money, the juice of what Chretien had to say was this:
Whenever anyone says anything vaguely like this -- it pierces the orthodoxy of Canadian thought. And the counter-reaction comes swiftly, as it did in the Globe & Mail editorial, and the Gee piece. It's still rippling.Mr. Chrétien said Canada has to keep in mind that it is too small a global player to hector the Chinese or try to hurt them with boycotts.
"We have to live with reality," he said. "It's 1.3 billion people, and I'm telling you that they are moving fast. You think that Canada is very important in the world? I remember when I was going to China … the press saying: 'Mr. Chrétien, you have to tell the president of China to do this and do that.' Oh really?
"You want me to the tell the president of a country of 1.3 billion people you should do this and do that, but I don't dare to say what to do to the premier of Sask.? You have to put things in perspective."
Speaking to reporters afterward, Mr. Chrétien continued his fusillade. "We are at the bottom of the ladder in terms of having any influence with China. Ask any businessman who has been to China, and he will tell you the same thing."
The funny thing, of course, is that the very people who'll bitch loudest about "yousspending orrr txxxxdllllrs" n arts, also usually think that Canada is loved and talked about and respected to heck out there in the world.
Ignorance is bliss, truly.
Next, amidst the gaping silence offered by Josee Verner, who has managed in her short tenure as Culture Minister to make Bev Oda look like Sheila Copps, the Ontario and Quebec culture ministers made the important point that the "boondoggle" of the Arts is actually big fucking business in this country.
The culture sector plays a vital role in the Canadian economy. In Quebec and Ontario, the sector contributes close to $30 billion to both provinces’ GDP, which represents 68 per cent of the national cultural sector. The sector also employs roughly 616,000 people across the country of whom 68 per cent call Quebec and Ontario home.
Culture is one of Canada’s fastest growing economic sectors. It’s spin-off benefits include growth and diversification in tourism and local economies, and skills development for the knowledge economy. Investing in our home-grown talent on the international stage encourages foreign investment, opens new markets for export and promotes our country as a cultural tourism destination.
And there was an increasing indication -- leaked no doubt from the Conservatives -- that part of this arts funding money is being redirected toward amateur sport.
Don't believe the hype, chickens. In fact, though he couldn't manage to go to the games, seems like the PM is learning a thing or two from China.
The Harper government says the 2010 Winter Olympics opening ceremony must reflect its agenda as the price of its $20-million commitment to the event, an internal government briefing memo says.No, this wasn't an issue for the Calgary 1988 games. Thanks for asking.The memo, marked secret and released under an access-to-information request, describes the role of the Canadian government in wording that appears to mix politics and sports, despite widespread criticism of China for politicizing the Beijing Olympics.
"The Minister has recently confirmed with VANOC in writing that the Department of Canadian Heritage intends to invest $20-million toward the opening ceremony of the Olympic Winter Games in order to ensure that the event adequately reflects the priorities of the Government and helps to achieve its domestic and international branding goals," the memo says.
Seems like if you want to have yourself an opening ceremonies in 2010, you gotta push the old Conservative line, too. Or take your place on the enemies list.
That list is getting mighty long.
This video comes to me courtesy of Camilla, a friend of mine who stretches every penny to try and make the arts mean something to one corner of Canadian culture. Yeah, it's not the funniest one of these -- but it's Friday and I'm deaf in one ear. My entertainment threshold is a little low.
Have a good weekend.
7 comments:
One problem for the New Conservatives: if over 50 % of the Canadian population ends up on that Enemies List...doesn't that take a fair bit of the leverage of that threat away from Mr. Harper?
I was discussing all this with a bunch of friends who are not in the business, and the consensus was that if the CBC and Telefilm disappeared tomorrow, they wouldn't notice. And that's a big part of our problem. The Canadian public are happy watching American television and films - and I must count myself among them. I prefer House, Lost, Mad Men, Dirty Sexy Money, 24, etc. to anything Canadian. I think the joke continues to be that 24, House and Bones are fine Canadian dramas - having driven those artists away years ago.
During Word War II the British Parliament wanted to stop funding arts and culture. Churchill remarked that if they weren't fighting for their culture, what were they fighting for?
... I'm about ready to call Godwins on that one, but it did have its points.
We need to remind Mr. Harper of that Churchill quote and make some of the implications explicit, methinks.
When was that exact exchange, I wonder?
Um...
So "speaking truth to power" is now not such a good thing -- or maybe worse -- pointless?
I think anybody who pays attention knows that since becoming a private citizen Jean Chretian has been a paid consultant for Power Corp, whose Chairman is married to his daughter; and who, coincidentally, do a massive amount of business with China.
I'm sorry, but nothing is gained by being silent on things that matter and if it comes down to choosing between the philosophy of a former Prime Minister (of any stripe) and the Dalai Lama, I know which side I'm on.
Jim, you know as well as I that someone can say the right thing for the wrong reason.
I'm a guy who didn't watch any Olympics because I didn't want to be part of China's clarifying show. I caught snatches at bars and bits of the closing at my parents' bit, but opted out.
It's not the sentiment that I'm decrying, it's the context. The context being that Canada has to say something because Canada has such a special place in the world and is so influential and respected.
It isn't. It doesn't. It's not.
That being said, I think considering how the world is kissing China's ass, it's probably pretty dumb of our PM to not grab whatever cheek he can.
Politics is Politics.
Morality is Morality.
But business is business...
And though I happen to agree with a bit of what Chretien said here, I still recognize that the man is a politician.
You don't take the junkyard out of the dog...
All three disciplines are and will continue to be seen as tangled up in each other with no hope of untangling. Whether that's a good thing or not is something we're going to be arguing about forever.
Post a Comment