I'VE HEARD FROM more than four separate sources now -- one from within Telefilm -- that Telefilm has been told that the New Media Fund will cease to exist as of March 2009. For anyone counting, that's yet another attack on the arts by the current Canadian government, made without consultation or debate.
Things look really peachy for the future of the CTF, doesn't it?
2500 people marched in Montreal yesterday to protest against the cuts and the lack of consultation. The Heritage Committee has planned a meeting for next week. But it's likely that it will never happen since any election call will pre-empt it, and the word from everywhere fast and furiously is that that election call will come next Thursday.
Harper's already said he expects another Minority, but the poll signs in Quebec are encouraging enough to take the gamble.
This government's open hostility to anyone who works in the creative fields is unprecedented. And then there's the war on Elections Canada. Government Departments. Doctors over Medical Ethics. The Press. The Government without a strong mandate is about to cost us 300 million dollars for nothing. It's incredible. The continued ability of Canadians to just shutup and take it, no matter what, to never be roused by anything, ever (and to continue to tsk tsk tsk about the Americans' many faults at the same time) makes me increasingly ill. What does it take?
On the Dead Things front, the sideboard poll about commenting was illuminating. I wish I hadn't written it as I was rushing off to do something else, because the poorly worded first choice made it seem like I was trolling for praise when I really wasn't. Still, it bears noting that nearly 30% of respondents agreed that the main reason they didn't comment was because they were fearful of being identified, or of suffering "reprecussions" for speaking out.
I don't know if these were people who voted that way or not, but I also got ten emails from people apologizing (of course, they're Canadian) and saying they'd like to comment, but they work somewhere where people might guess it was them blah blah blah.
To be honest, I don't know what to say about this anymore.
For three years I've been told the same thing. And certainly, there's plenty of stuff that can't be said in a blog like this. There's much that is openly discussed about shows or production companies or business practices that are happening right now, that I know about and a lot of you probably know about too - and we can't talk about it. For one reason or another, but usually coming back to the same reason in the end: the industry's too damn small.
Yet these things are all related. A combination of cowed fear and timidity and apathy defines the arts in this country. We're in the position we're in with this goverment because we take it. Because we make our case badly. Because we're either out of touch with the people, or allow others to say we're out of touch with the people. And we can't really discover which of those things is the truth, because we can't talk about that either. We leave attacks unanswered and we let others -- too few others -- do our fighting for us.
We don't have money or access to the halls of power. Yet we don't speak out because we fear, what? That what little influence we have will be further eroded?
Well guess what? That time is here.
A bunch of writers went to the CRTC last year to defend creative workers in this country and they were met with contempt from the bench. Yet they spoke for you.
This government cancels programs without consultation, and dares us to resist and -- except, always, in Quebec -- there are crickets and they know they can get away with it.
Please don't send me emails about how you'd love to comment, but you're afraid. Everyone's afraid. Everyone has something to lose. Suit up and wear a cup, or accept what comes after. You don't get to whine behind the sidelines anymore.
In about a month, most likely 60 percent or more of the electorate will stand up and say that they do not want the Conservatives to govern. And yet govern they will.
So it goes. So nothing changes. Because the mice refuse to squeak.
It's depressing and funny at once.
I said there was a good rumour in there so here it comes:
In a boardroom at TFS yesterday, three of the biggest comedy showrunners in Canada got together to discuss a project. Could the next Corner Gas be gestating there?
Let's hope so.
I got a feeling we could all use the laugh.
13 comments:
At risk of being labeled a bit of a 'comment hag' (and you're all watching Obama anyway), I'll lead off again:
Whether its via blogging or commenting on the Canadian TV/movie scene, saying anything remotely controversial or challenging to the norm is going to run the risk of offending someone. Because it is a public forum, and the industry IS really small....and if you go by your real name, you are putting yourself out there for ANYONE to read. And I know that can be intimidating...I know it freaked me out for about a year (and still does occasionally).
That said, much like censoring oneself at an industry party and not shouting loudly how someone may have screwed you or stabbed you in the back or something else that is want to happen in this biz, you have to learn how to share your knowledge or opinion WITHOUT specifically targeting and trashing some individual or company or network or government agency. And even then you can slip up and piss someone off. Or you have to get a little personal to get your point across...it comes with the turf of putting yourself out there. But you know what? So what.
That's right, so what.
Because, for me at least, there's far more value gained by at least TRYING to discuss and share and debate and challenge, etc. then just sitting around muttering while playing the game... especially if that 'game' really sucks (or sux). The trick seems to be to not make it too personal... because anyone worth their salt weight should be able to recognize a smart or logical opinion or suggestion. If you keep yourself in line, 'career killer' shouldn't even be on the table.
I love this biz. I love trying to get ahead of the curve or figuring out the next trend. I love sharing my experiences and my opinions and getting agreed with or told I've got my head up my ass. I love learning new craft tips and different ways to do and make television, almost as much as I love hearing how some show or movie got fucked up or could've been made better. And blogging and commenting has only made me love the biz more. Because I've discovered like minds, and started learning again, which it made me want to get more involved again...but involved in more of a 'let's see if we can change this or make it better' way, as opposed to a 'lets keep it the same as it ever was' way. And that's only been from getting the hands dirty a little. I KNOW I've turned some people off (eg. the 'who the fuck do you think you are?' emails), but hey...if that's how you wanna be, then we probably wouldn't wanna work together either.
Because for me its about taking all of it and trying to make a better industry and more quality entertaining TV and movies. I'm not trying to sell my book, or promote my new shows or films...I just like learning and sharing and getting better while trying to help make the industry and our shows better. I'm not trying to pass judgement or say I'm better than anyone...but I do know I muttered for a long time, and now feel a lot better trying to express myself here rather than keeping it all inside.
I guess my main point is to encourage as many readers as possible to start getting their hands a little dirtier. Yes, commenting and blogging isn't easy...it's hard work. In fact, it's a little scary sometimes because you're putting yourself out there. But believe me, you'll (and we'll) all be better for it if you can.
Beavis out.
(getting off soapbox now)
That the Conservatives timed these changes so carefully means they were at least a little frightened of the response they might get from others. They need to be challenged on these decisions, and that challenge should come from the Canadian media industry because those involved in that industry can provide the most informed reaction. And because we tend to have more respect for those who stand up for themselves, even while we're against them.
The tall-poppy response just keeps everybody short.
Well I chicken out of commenting for the opposite reason - I'm NOT Canadian so am not sure my opinion is relevant!
But, as an outsider, if anyone was to ask me what I see as the single biggest weakness in the Canadian film & television industry, it would in fact be the reliance on government funding. While a supportive government certainly is no bad thing for any industry, if there was to be a silver lining to this cloud, I suggest it will be that producers may be forced to be as resourceful and creative when it comes to funding as they are in other countries.
A filmmaker friend in Vancouver once commented to me "producers in other countries make films, in Canada, we fill in forms". That's a bit factious of course, but I think there is some truth to it...
Sourcing private, corporate and so on funding (at least partially) means being less of a slave to deadlines, and (I realise I'm a touch self serving here!) it means being able to hire the best people for the job, regardless of their nationality. Neither of these factors hurts at all when it comes to supporting creativity.
I'm in the process of scraping together some cash to shoot a trailer for a series I want to produce in Canada - I wouldn't have received any Telefilm or Provincial funding because I'm British. Fair enough, to some extent - but I'm hiring a Canadian director, crew, cast, musicians - and after cheerfully selling my soul (sacrificing absolutely nothing creatively) to a few corporations, I will shortly be able to do just that. Now, I am talking of course about a few thousand dollars to shoot a trailer, I'm in no way saying it would be even advisable to raise entire series funding that way... but principally, I'd say that the only way forward is to develop/produce/broadcast by any means necessary.
So that's my ha'penny's worth, and if this means I never manage to break into the Canadian industry, I'll know why ;)
Just to point out that the British, Australian, French, German, etc. systems are equivalent to our own - relying on government financing.
Unlike Britain, whose airwaves are still 90% British programming, our airwaves are 90% American programming. Hence our lack of clout.
If our broadcasters were charged with providing even 50% Canadian programming, we would be in a better position.
But, they are not and so we are not and t'was ever thus.
Government listens to big business - and for them, Canadian programming is an annoying cost of that business. But don't worry, they can bury those shows on weekends or in the summer and not ruin their real broadcast season.
I'm sure they are all looking forward to the day when we all just go away.
I have heard several times that a network executive has exclaimed to bring in something like the Tudor model - in other words, where Canada is the minority partner paying no more than 20% or less to satisfy their CanCon requirements.
So, bonne chance.
Here's one shot at why most people hold back on the comments (notwithstanding they just agree and have nothing more to add). My view addresses the example there is insufficient discourse and retaliation against the current government's assault on the arts. To begin, I think the ability to speak out (blog commentary and rebuttal included) will always come from a few individuals, regardless of the industry or cause. Few people stand up and shout while many others stand up and listen. To rail against this and ask 'Why won't you people share the pain?' is to miss the point and the opportunity. I think people who can speak out need to understand they have a personality and a vocabulary that drives them to take the podium. They shouldn't waste it lamenting the quiet masses. There is satisfaction in knowing that one's view carries higher on the wind. Those skills can be used to advantage when the occasion arises to infuence change. It's a form of leadership. Indeed, for its size, our industry seems to have a fair share of outspoken leaders. When the barbarians rattle the gates, our industry's creative side dispatches a relatively hefty number of people to speak out. Regretfully, I think the image this projects is one of a flotsam lot of individuals who are speaking on their own behalfs - or on behalf of their own craft (which in the eyes of government is just one seethingly homogenous mass; so why so many speakers). I think one of the reasons the so-called 'captains of industry' get their due is because they dispatch a select number of high ranking types to speak on behalf of their organizations or industry. Right or wrong, it more aptly gets the attention of the Gatineau goons. It's not fair but it just happens that way. On the issue of comments in general from the quiet majority: Yes, this industry is small and it presents a challenge for those people who think expressing their views will compromise their relationships with employers, funders, whatever. Most people do not comfortably wear the mantle of being outspoken and in fact, I think silence is rewarded (not just in our industry but in general). Quiet people get to keep their jobs, nobody confronts them, and they don't have to explain to their kids why someone is watching the house from that car across the street ;> BTW, if it's not showing on my comment, I'm Cathleen MacDonald and I'm proud to speak up.
A little Devil's Advocate for a Friday.
1. There are more Canadian TV shows being made today than there has been in years. The combination of cable and network venues in the country gives Canadian writers a more varied set of options in which to pitch TV shows.
2. Many of the networks are now doing pilots and giving these pilots to writers from all levels of experience.
3. TV shows in Canada are now being judged by a standard that is easy to understand -- people watch it. it stays on the air. people don't -- bye bye.
4. There are more opportunities for development than I have seen years. Now, it is true that only some of these development deals will ever see the light of day it is still "cash in the pocket" for both the working writer and the new kids on the block.
5. perhaps people aren't speaking out to complain because there isn't quite as much to complain about (that is unless you are working on "the listener" and even then I imagine the time for complaining is done and it has now moved into an area of dark comedy).
(why won't Dix just shut up?)
frank 'dolly' comes to the table with his glass half full...I think I need to lie down.
Of course, in many ways he's right...the here and now is pretty good, or at least a lot better than its been. But to me, that just means that a few trees are growing and sprouting leaves, but the forest is still pretty messed up.
And I'm certainly not encouraging more complaining, but rather, more back and forth and more sharing...which can only result in more of a united 'creative' community. And if that includes rallying together to challenge proposed govt. changes, then so be it.
Big picture change has a better chance of happening if you don't feel like you're just talking to yourself.
Rich: I think you've likely nailed that part of the equation. The timing is important, and it failed anyway. We're already ticked for other reasons.
Ditto Mr. Dixon on the industry size issue.
As a viewer, I want to see that "50 % CanCon in Primetime" edict happen. As a comics creator, I want to be part of a team that produces a property worthy of being a beneficiary of that edict, and I want to see a homegrown industry big enough that there'll be someone who can take a chance on it. So either way, I've got a stake in this fight.
I can't afford to shut up.
Will, I feel bad that you wasted what would have been a great post on a comment on the whole blog here. But I'm glad you did.
The thing that gets me on this, is, of course, that no one's asking anyone to put something out under their real name. The beauty of the Blogger signup is that you can use nicknames. The signup means that you have consistency among your comments, and you do build up a track record that discourages trolling, but it's not like you're painting a target on your back.
The thing is that we are a communications industry. You and I and others who have actually stepped up to this thing have taught each other and advanced the discussion. I am far more understanding and sympathetic to the needs of TV directors thanks to your posts and Ken Girotti's.
Mark Farell and Paul Mather when they've commented here, bring the perspective of two of the top comedy minds in Canada. (and I use their names because both have shared enough of their exprerience in comments to id themselves.)
There are other top people who have posted specifics under their aliases that have given me perspective on the industry before I entered it. And also from their producing expertise.
Caroline has, in her posts, brought a much more measured and sympathetic view of the problems facing Producers than the CFTPA manages to bring in any press release.
Jill and Alex bring a Canadian touch to craft discussions. And Walton through her Ink Canada rallies all these communities together. We are not separate anymore. We don't have to be.
But neither do we have to be out on a limb, either. You know, I've been amused and I've been chagrined by some of the run ins or call outs I've faced over three years by blogging here. But on the whole it's been extremely positive. Again, I do this and for about 2 1/2 of the three years I've worked steadily. For any job I might not get because someone reads something here they don't like, I've been put on the map for three more.
The seeming contradiction is easy enough to overcome: you draw a line.
People I've had business dealings with quickly learn that the stuff that's supposed to be confidential stays confidential. I don't settle scores here. I don't dish the really hurtful dirt, and I'm never more critical on anyone else than I am on myself.
There's lots of hair-curdling stories I could have told in public here, but I haven't ... because I'm not batshit insane and i DO like working.
But it's like that anecdote I've told about Frasier a few times. I draw the line at a place I'm comfortable with. If the vast majority won't even come so far as to share far, far less -- then we ARE going to be stuck in and endless cycle of always complaining about the same things.
And yes, that's the qualifier too. Because I'm fine with people who are not comfortable speaking up and who stay quiet.
It's that other Canadian thing that drives me crazy: you won't speak up to try to make things better, but you WILL bitch ENDLESSLY about "somebody should do something."
Somebody.
Just not, you know, you.
This is how the robber barons get away with stuff. It's not apathy, it's actually something worse. Something less respectable than apathy.
And though I should sit down and fully absorb Frank's detour into hope -- it's precisely because it's not hopeless that I push like this.
We have a chance to turn things around, and to replace cronyism with professionalism.
There are the shows now. But are they good?
If we work on getting them good -- and if we counteract the peculiar structural things that make them bad -- then we wind up with five or six Corner Gases.
Five or six broad based popular shows -- homegrown -- on the air, and everything in this debate changes. Everything.
It's doable.
But we need more than me in my echo chamber, and the happy few of us bloviating -- to figure out how.
Hear hear
Money and the will of a Canadian network. Then it might be doable. Let me know what timeline that's happening in and I'll try to teleport myself there.
I think the thing that strikes me the most about Harper's tactics across the board is the obvious arrogance in which he is acting. It's like he doesn't expect us to react, but just to take it. Not a bad bet given the Canadian psyche, but this is no time to bend to stereotype, people. Maybe we need to remember that we are media people ... we spin for a living. Can't we do it save our livings?
Things are not good. We should be celebrating the renaissance of our business with shows like Flashpoint catching on in the US. Instead, we're fighting for our survival. I had a project that was a slam dunk greenlight disappear Friday because of an 11K an episode shortfall. I kid you not. The broadcasters are battening down the hatches and betting that if some of the funds fall, so will their CanCon requirements. It is a very slippery slope and this may be the last chance to take a stand.
So I am with you, Denis ... and Will ... at Cathleen. With whatever little voice I have. Lead on!
Post a Comment