Friday, August 1, 2008

Flash! Ah-hahh.

DIDN'T WANT TO leave on that last post. So we'll make this the last til the end of hiatus. (Barring any implosion of the industry or anything.)

Flashpoint last night BUILT from the week before, and retained its lead in from CSI.

In the words of Mediaweek's Marc Berman:

"There is every reason to now believe the broadcast networks will rely more on quality Canadian programming in the future."

So now here's the $64 000 Question. (Yes, I continue my habit of making cultural references from before my time. It's part of my charm, and it helps me relate to the people who actually watch Television...OUCH, SNAP! YES HE DID)

...it's a question I leave you to ponder over the next ten days:

From now on, which network do you pitch first? Hmm?

This might also be a good time to remind anyone reading from, oh, I don't know, somewhere...

...Daddy's Dual.

By the time I blog back the Olympics will be on so maybe it's time to leave you with that hoary old Chinese saying:

"May we live in interesting times."

4 comments:

wcdixon said...

Don't kid yourself, you'll be back sooner...O Savior of the Universe!

deborah Nathan said...

I know. This is a trick question. You pitch them all at the same time - this is Canada and most of them won't get back to you for six months.

Crystal said...

This is apropos of nothing, but damn do I love how the links on your sidebar show when they were last updated.

Now I don't have to click on each blog myself and cry when there's no new post to entertain me. Not that I actually cry over it... much...

ME said...

I hate to say it, but the scripted folks are just cottoning on to what those of us who primarily toil in factual/reality have known for a long time ... that the tail wags the dog.

Unless I'm doing a 100% CanCon show that's a real flag-waver, I always pitch the US and UK first. Usually your foreign broadcaster puts up the higher percentage of the money (if you don't count tax credits ... and I try not to wade into the CTF pool unless I absolutely have to).

It actually does give you as the lowly producer a little leverage because hey, I don't need all your money, and it X network in from the US, you can bet your bippy the guys across the street might want it, too. So that means they can't screw you over by demanding backend on foreign distribution, or the right to collect your retransmission royalties, like they inevitably do if they are the only money in.

Funny how eager the Canadian networks are to take a meeting about a new series when you've got validation from outside the country first ... we never change, do we?