Martin Knelman has a piece on slowly building buzz for the beleaguered English Canadian movie industry. Yeah, sure, it's a lot like the pieces you read last year about the same subject, but it did turn out to be an okay year, artistically. Both of the main films sound interesting to me, and combined with the move of Young People Fucking to a more audience-friendly summer premiere slot...maybe, just maybe...well...you know.
Note to Knelman, though: that confidence Wayne Clarkson is showing? It's got nothing to do with the quality of the films.
I t may be premature to raise hopes, but 2008 could shape up as one of the best years ever in the short and erratic history of movies from English Canada.No wonder S. Wayne Clarkson, executive director of Telefilm Canada, has an air of confidence these days as he zips around the planet – L.A. for the Oscars, Toronto for the Genies, Hong Kong for a film fest.
Coming up later this year are a number of highly touted movies produced with the help of seven-figure investments from Telefilm. And in 2008 the most exciting news in Canadian cinema seems to be coming from English Canada rather than Quebec – as it did in 2007 with Away From Her and Eastern Promises.
All players are being tight-lipped, but two of Telefilm's 2008 slate are likely to be part of the main event at the Cannes Festival in May. Festival bosses are eagerly taking a look at both Blindness – an expensive three-way co-production – and Adoration – a modest, personal take on the Internet from Cannes favourite Atom Egoyan.
Wayne Clarkson is a cyborg, you see. Pass it on.
2 comments:
Oh well if ATOM EGOYAN is getting a chance to do a movie for a change then Canadian cinema really is radically changing.
Ouch! Snap!
I just wish they'd changed the name of Young People Fucking. Maybe the person who decided on the title wanted to go for the sensational route and catch peoples' attention but from what I've been hearing, it's this movie which is garnering more support for the ones who want Bill C-10. While I am against the Bill for the most part, I think it's completely reasonable to not have the F-word in the title of a movie funded by Cancon money. I get what the title means and I know all about the movie and have no problem with it, but the title is a bit much.
I use the F-word every so often but I know it offends A LOT of people. I learned that as a child and then as a teenager--my mother, aunt and grandmother were all very liberal with soap bars, and the title pisses people off. Having the F-word plenty of times within a show or film is one thing but putting it in the title is a little bit in-your-face.
Post a Comment