Wednesday, February 20, 2008

One Pagers Suck, Beavis.

KEE-RYE-SSST. One pagers are the scourge of any TV writer. They're barnacles of development. They're the network-mandated equivalent of a dip in the lake of fire. They're like a trip down Memory Lane with a hoe in your hippocampus. They're like burning, bleeding fingers on guitar strings made of broken glass. They're like a pretty girl who flirts with you all night and then tells you she feels so comfortable with you because you remind her of her brother. They're an actress waking up to discover that she's on the wrong side of 40 in a sexist business where women readily mutilate themselves past the point where they look human for just six more months in the spotlight that never comes. They're like a Coldplay marathon. One pagers are like eight foot snowbanks between you and the parking metre. They're like Paris Hilton winning a Grammy. They're like a debate between political candidates over who loves Jesus more.

They. Fucking. Suck.

Why?

Well, let me put it this way. How about having to send the government your tax return before you figure out your taxes? Or, maybe you'd like to furnish your house before you build it. Oh, wait! Wait! Here's a good one -- ask that girl to marry you when you pick her up for the first date. Yeah! Yeah! See how far you get then!

A one-pager is having to figure out the story before you've broken the story. And they always have to be done fast. And they always suck. It's like an unending prostate exam. They are the Carson Daly of screenwriting.

Gaaaahaahahhhh!

Anyway, in other news, Happy Birthday to the Beavis of the Canadian TV bloggers.

Director. Writer. Educator. Sometime Network Suit. Championship Rope Dancer. Pre-Industrial Hapsburg Military Tactician, and Three time County Wide Fire Swallowing Champion, Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Mr. Will Dixon.

I want you to look at his picture.

Look at it. Look at that commanding, fierce, yet lost look.

I want you to look at it, and in the comments below I would like you to caption it appropriately.

Me, I've gotta keep scaling the @$#%ing snowbank.

15 comments:

Alex Epstein said...

You COULD have been chewing the fat in Montreal. No one pagers here, baby. But noooooooo.

DMc said...

Hey -- come up with a caption or move it along, Epstein. This lady's not for taunting.

Geoffrey Firmin said...

You are absolutely right. Worse, the one pagers favour shows that are facile, that can be explained in a single page. They are attention deficit disordered. They work against the prospect of nuance and change in characters, the very things that give a series legs.

Juniper said...

He's thinking, "Moon Bloodgood."

Lee said...

"They're an actress waking up to discover that she's on the wrong side of 40 in a sexist business where women readily mutilate themselves past the point where they look human for just six more months in the spotlight that never comes."

Sh!t. Now you tell me.

The season's a little off, but my caption would be "It's Santa Claus! Could you just stop crying just long enough to get this shot?"

Unknown said...

"My God. It's full of tapioca."

(Sorry, best I got. My last couple days are quite well-described by your opening paragraph...)

Yaz said...

As for the first half of your post Hemingway, I'm sorry... I feel at least partly responsible. Really, I had know idea ... lol

M J Reid said...

"Pharoah von Finckenstein, let my people go!"

Tim T said...

"God I hope I don't end up teaching at a university"

DAVID BISHOP said...

Borrowed from Alan Moore:

"Mind the oranges, Marlon!"

Cunningham said...

Oh My God...they are actually doing what I'm telling them to do...

I AM a director. I AM.

Aw crap..that's lunch.

Licentious Maladay said...

You know what I love about writers? They write to take a break from writing. They write on their vacations. They write while brushing their teeth. They even write TO COMPLAIN ABOUT WRITING!

My caption: "Wasn't there supposed to be blood on the floor?"

Brandon Laraby said...

"Aww! How come no one bought me a cookie?"

Stephen Gallagher said...

"I've got a Twinkie in this pocket for the first one who takes her top off."

Jason Sanders said...

"I'm going to be a blogger?"