WELL, I GUESS the story just became a bit more complicated.
Yup, I was wrong about nothing selling. But then again, I also thought the strike would be over by now.
No one knows the 2nd part of this story until the shows go to air down south. Does anyone actually remember how long Due South lasted on CBS?
***
Now might be the time to ask the pros who lurk here, who have experience from the old days of late night shows on CBS and copros with studios like Tribune and stuff -- I wasn't in the game at that point, so I throw it open to you, call it a public service to the writers now working on Flashpoint and The Listener:
Canadians Tell Their Favorite U.S. Network Note Stories.
Have at it in the comments below.
4 comments:
I think that Due South lasted 2 seasons on CBS 1994-1996 (40 episodes). The remaining season was supported by CTV and a number of other foreign interests. I am not sure if the show became too expensive or if Paul Gross just wanted to move beyond the Benton Fraser character.
It did last two seasons on CBS and the reason it didn't go beyond that was ratings, pure and simple.
A few other Canadian shows have had a window on the US market. Night Heat actually aired a few times on CBS one summer.
And on the other hand Power Play lasted two whole episodes on UPN - in the summer - before being dumped for low ratings. By UPN!
Of course there's also oldskool Degrassi...not to mention a show called Diamonds in the 80s which aired during the last writer's strike in '88 and went two seasons.
I'm not typically a fan of Canadian shows doing the co-pro route with American networks. The shows tend to lose their integrity (ie. Degrassi now has cheerleaders). Road to Avonlea, which went through a few brilliant seasons encountered some "minor" changes when it began airing on Disney Channel in the States which some fans were not happy with.
Post a Comment