Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Thanks!

SEEMS THAT IN Week Two, The Border drew 600 000 viewers across Canada. That's only a 15 percent drop from the premiere. Now it may seem a little too Canadian to crow about numbers that went down, but Monday actually wound up being a pretty tough night, up against the inexplicably popular American Gladiators (I mean, really, people.) and part two of the premiere of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Oh. And that dancing thing. Yet we managed to actually improve our demos, which means more younger people watched. Which for some reason gives the advertisers a bit of a boner.

So thanks for that. Makes me feel good to think that maybe that means some people will be sticking round for my first episode next Monday, which I think is actually pretty kickass and action packed. (Complete with planes and explosions, oh my.)

If you enjoyed the show, be sure to tell people -- the haters aren't shy about letting their views be known -- neither should you be.

6 comments:

Cunningham said...

That could be the CBC's new pitch for the show...

" THE BORDER: television programming that gives you a good Canadian boner.

Go Leafs!


Or like, maybe not.

;D

Tristan said...

Hi Denis, just wondering where you find your numbers for Canadian audiences? Is it something you need a subscription to? I used to get my fix at Playback online, until they started charging. I'm not patient enough to wait for the print version. Any help?

The Border has been satisfying so far. Good work.

DMc said...

Thank you Tristan.

Re: your questions about the numbers. Unlike in the USA, Canadian networks are notoriously stingy about releasing ratings data. Mostly because the numbers don't seem impressive to Canadians who don't think to scale down by 90% for the population.

That's why the only numbers that regularly get reported are the top 20 shows. Because those are all safely over a million or so.

To answer your question, I, like Scarlett O'Hara, have always depended upon the kindness of strangers.

Dave said...

uhm... denis... that's blanche dubois... scarlett will never be hungry again.

DMc said...

Holy Cow! See what happens when I'm not swamped? the brain goes to cottage cheese instantly.

I pictured Vivien Leigh and the dress made out of curtains and everything. Weird!

Thanks for the catch.

Unknown said...

If you go on BBM's web site, you can downlaod the viewing figures for the top 30 most-watched shows.