Friday, December 21, 2007

Hit The Ground At JFK...

WALK TO THE BAGGAGE carousel. A News Network is playing. I never saw which one. Might be one of those specialized feeds they do for airports. Anyway, it took about 5-7 minutes for my bag to come around. And the entire time -- the whole time I stood there -- there was one report on the TV.

It was about a stretch of I-35 in Minnesota. Seems some idiot was reading Isaiah, Chapter 35, and there's a verse that mentions some sort of Highway of Hope. And so there's a report that states -- for NEARLY EIGHT MINUTES -- "Could the prophets have anticipated Interstate 35?" They had people praying by the road, and Pat Robertson talking about it, and they made mention of the fact that that Bridge collapse was "near I35" because I guess there's a battle for the soul of the fucking road or something...

...I had been in the United States for a minute and a half, and this is the shit that's on. For nearly eight minutes.

A bit of context. In 1993, when I was a story producer, I once did a story where we explained the entire concept of THE INTERNET in four minutes.

The show was long.

So I cut it.

To Three. And that's when assholes were still calling it the Information Superhighway.

But the %#@^& Jesus Road? Eight Minutes.

Guess I better go see if I can blow off some steam around St. Mark's Place. A nice walk should do it. Golly, I sure hope there are no fornicators out tonight!


8 comments:

Teresa said...

That would be hilarious if it were't so sad and scary.


Merry Christmas to you, Denis.


Terry

wcdixon said...

Apparently 30,000 hits a week on this blog.

You owe it to them (if not to yourself) to UP your thinking, broaden your scope and stop peeing into the headwind, in public.

And steer clear of fornicators.

DMc said...

Oh Dear, Will, that's what we call....

..........a callback, yes?

thanks...off to see "The Women of 24" now.

Unknown said...

Saw that on CNN yesterday. Sadly, I found it almost refreshing after a different story on Jamie Lynn Spears every frelling hour.

Didn't they used to have actual news? I'm sure I remember that.

Steve Schnier said...

There used to be a good rib joint around St. Marks Place.

Happy Holidays!

ME said...

I hate to state the obvious, but that's why you choose to live north. Well, one of the main reasons, anyway.

Have a great holiday, D.

Kat. C. said...

It would be funny if it wasn't the state of American News today. I quit reading the newspaper where I live too-it only takes about 3 minutes to read all three sections, but I decided to quit wasting my 50 cents. I get my new from the web and NPR and BBC. Everybody has their own spin, but at least its easier to filter out the crap.
Hope FLA is nice-here in GA its cold and rainy-reminds me of home...
Happy Holidays!

That's MIZZ Gypsy To You! said...

But I thought that bridge collapsed because of NAFTA. Something about all those Mexican trucks crossing Minnesota on their way to Canada. (Did CNN play the clip of the gay man supposedly "cured" by one of the "purity sieges?" Rachel Maddow played it on her show Friday night. I about bust a gut...)

Speaking of fornicators, since I can't link directly to the clip, go to this website, click on the drop down box to select "Rapture Watch" and pick nearly any one in the archive. You'll find out what those pesky fornicators are up against. As it were... (Sadly, there will be no more "Rapture Watch" because all the shows "Cardinal Milfington" was on have been canceled and he is now an on-strike writer with no clear future in radio. But he's a hoot nonetheless...)