Monday, August 27, 2007

Summer Shmummer Bring On Da Fall

MAUREEN RYAN has the first handicapping of the fall season and it's a pretty good one, I reckon.

Last year, I loved the pilot for "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" and thought “30 Rock” was all over the map.

Within a month or two, “30 Rock” had become one of the gems of the season, while “Studio 60” took a swan dive in the quality department. So keep in mind that these impressions of the new fall shows are just that - first thoughts. And I reserve the right to change my mind about just about everything, which is one of the best perks of this gig.

If the networks’ clutch of new shows doesn’t appear to contain, at first glance, an instant game-changer such as “Lost,” be patient. Something great might emerge from this fall’s crop. Or not.

We’ll just have to keep watching.

Will probably focus myself on the fall toward the end of the week. Meantime, continue the fray below. Amuse me, citizens.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Huh. So Viva Laughlin is in fact pretty much what it appeared to be in the headscratchy string of promos they ran during the Tonys. (The last one carrying the glittering banner text "Tony winner Hugh Jackman as you've never seen him before!" Uh-huh, and that would be how, exactly? A question to consider before you start slinging exclamation points at the audience that knows he won said Tony shaking his clingy-gold-lam&e;-clad backside.)

Most of it sounds eminently missable, sad to say. Or maybe not so very sad; I know objectively that I say that pretty much every year. If it all suddenly got better, I'd be even more in the playing-catchup hole than I already am...