Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Alright, Alright. I Take It Back...

SWEET JEBUS, this is a different city when the sun is out. Even the drivers seem less crazy.

I managed on this trip to avoid most of the places I haunted when I lived here in the winter, and visit some of the places I'd stayed away from. So no Commercial Drive, but a whole lot of Yaletown. I also learned for certain that GM Place and BC Place are not the same thing (really, you could have made that clearer,) had a nice lunch at Sophie's Cosmic Cafe (Hippies Please Use Side Door,) bought a couple CD's at Zulu, naffed some truly excellent oysters, paid three bucks for a tiny minibar can of Pringles, learned to hate the Canada Line construction, discovered a new favorite girl drink; talked shop and traded stories at the Fringe Cafe, and even got told a pretty good industry joke:

Q: What's the difference between a working Canadian screenwriter and a pizza?
A: A pizza can feed a family of four.

Heh heh. Oh, and then to top it all off, an all-too-brief drink with some of the fabulous writers from J-Pod. Good times. Good times.

I like Vancouver in the spring. That much is true. But now it's back to Toronto, a waiting set of notes, working through the weekend and batting away the smog with my hands.

Shit. Maybe I should delete the pizza joke. If I leave it here, I can't tell it to people individually. Moral dilemma...blog or life?

Now there's a question to contemplate on the plane.

So long Van. I'll give Toronto your usual regards.

(I'm not gonna hock the loogie, tho.)

3 comments:

Tod Maffin said...

hey crap... are you still in Vancouver?

Email me if you'll be around on the weekend. I'd love to meet you and chat about all things broadcasting.

Tod
tod@todmaffin.com

conjunction-junction said...

I heard a racist version of this joke about three years ago... I like the version you heard better.

As far as industry jokes, I've always liked:

What do AD's use for birth control?
-Personality.

Unknown said...

There was a trombone joke that made the rounds when I was a music student that would adapt excellently:

What do you do if there's a Canadian screenwriter at your door? Pay him for the pizza!