Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Wherein Denis Posts The Cat



NOT REALLY, I mean, I don't even have a cat. I barely know any cats. But I don't really have much to say today but a bunch of little tiny things.

So this will be the bunch of little tiny things post.

I'll probably have more substantive stuff in a couple days -- including some news that affects the drift of this blog in the months to come.

  • It occurs to me that since I arrived back in Toronto, I have not seen the sun. That strikes me as somewhat ironic.

  • ROGERS should spend less time buying money losing terrestrial television stations from CTV Globemedia and more time fixing my stupid damn buggy HD PVR

  • A cut on the tip of your finger can bleed for a very long time. Almost the entire length of a Sopranos episode.

  • Macs rule, but Apple sucks. There. I said it.

  • Do not even get me started about Crackbook.

  • You know that thing about stop and appreciate the little things? Well, for all the nutsoness of being a writer sometimes, there are nights like the one I spent last night at The Paddock, surrounded by some of the funniest comedy writers in Canada, telling stories. Good conversation, good people, good humor -- it all goes a long way. It almost makes you forget to drink.

  • I've made it through to the end of Ep.2 of The Sopranos, and any lingering dissatisfaction with the drift of the first half of the season is gone. What a valedictory. The way it's lensed, with all those autumnal browns and indirect lighting takes my breath away. Melfi's office has never looked so ominous. I take it back. The Sopranos does live up to the hype. All that and Sydney Pollack too.

  • Mark Leiren-Young, a nice writer who also worked on Blood Ties, sent me a link yesterday to this article he wrote, an interview with Vonnegut. I'm still bummed out by his passing. It's funny the things you can't shake off. John Doyle in the Globe today also has a wonderful appreciation for June Callwood. Many years ago, Callwood gave the commencement address at my University graduation. I forget now what she said, but it was suitably inspiring and wonderful at the time -- and warm -- and I think I even remember taking comfort in her words for the first couple of years when I was working and it seemed like I was banging my head against the wall. People like that make you want to just make dead sure you put out into the world more good things than bad. Yup. I guess I'm thinking about karma now.

  • This is just hilarious -- passed on to me by Diane. Yes. Hating Toronto. I hear it's set to be a demonstration sport at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.
Tell a joke or pet your cat today. Call Mom. Encourage someone who looks like they need it.

Me, I'm going to see Grindhouse.

Oh snap. See what I did there?

3 comments:

The_Lex said...

I thought Friday was cat blogging day.

kadgi said...

Never trust anything that bleeds through a all soprano's episode without dying...

Dntel has a new album, all's well...

jmulligan said...

crackbook, crackbook
everyone's favourite time waster....