Well well well.
Mediablogging is a funny thing.
I know that regular people complain all the time about not hearing feedback on their posts. That's kind of the solipsistic lowest-common denominator of every blogger. But in the case of this little concern, at least the part of it that deals with Canadian TV, the silence, to my mind, is actually counterproductive.
An industry in need of repair derives no benefit if the very people who are on the front lines remain silent. And keeping silent hasn't exactly helped the cause of Canadian creatives over the last 20 years, has it?
But dangle a little carrot like I did a couple days ago and people come a jumping. That's fine. I'm suitably amused.
I heard from some people I haven't heard from before. I heard praise, and interesting criticism. (Two people took me to task, for instance, for my fondness for italics and bold. They're not going anywhere. Why? That's just how I roll.)
I don't want to build up this great advice too much, but it is interesting, and it is a new, proactive way to think of things.
Several people sent me an email asking for the Secret. (Er. Not The Secret, that's Oprah's bag.) Several more wheedled and asked in comments below. Here's the deal. I will write up the very special post and send it out via email sometime next week. If you want in, send me an email to the account on the sideboard. You also have to be registered with Blogger to post comments. I will send everybody who's sent me an email the post end of next week. If you're worried about me selling your name or email to Nigerian Penis Enlarger & Banking specialists, then just get a new webmail addy and I'll send it to that address. I'm not building a database. Just doing a little feel for my Canadian readers thing.
If you just leave a comment on this, or the earlier post -- no dice -- you gotta register with Blogger to comment and send me an email at the address on the sideboard.
10 comments:
Was this anything like the Secret of Management?
Look at that. You've discovered marketing! Writers gotta do some more of that, because here I am wanting the secret (your boss's) fully expecting it won't be much more Earth shattering than "The Secret" (Oprah's). But both are probably worth hearing, and you got me wanting it in the first place, and that's the...well, the secret.
Ok, this little fishy will bite. I'm not a screenwriter but a couple of my dearest friends bash their brains out that way and I'd loved to pass along your great words of wisdom to cheer them along.
I'll take the Nigerian Penis Enlarger instead, please...
I think Mr. Dixon said it all. hehe.
I would be more than pleased to provide you with the information on my friend General Sam Owonde Olllulli, Ret, Ivory Coast and his Most Excellent Praetor Minister Barbas Abulletowa-Wiwabatchi, Nigerian Minister of Penises.
To get the transaction rolling I will need both your bank accound numbers. Plus you should drop your drawers and cough.
Will, you may want to wait til the rib heals. For what comes next, you're going to need to brace yourself.
"cough cough"
Um...you should have everything you need.
And, bracing...
Since I've already begged, I'll try contributing. Here's advice other aspiring TV writers might find useful. In my last six months talking to Canadian agents (can't name names 'cause they didn't give permission, but one reps a well-known blogger buddy of Denis's), I've been told that all you need is one solid spec script, otherwise they want to see your original material. I was even told it's a good time to be a newbie 'cause we may get a chance to develop our own show if the idea's good enough, but I don't know that I would count on that. Plus, comedy is currently more in-demand than drama. Everyone's looking for the next Corner Gas. Of course, I don't know if agents are looking at anybody right now since they may still be dealing with fallout from the ACTRA strike. So I'm working on original stuff. How about you?
Last but not least, the head of a Canadian network told a friend that all TV writers should be watching Grey's Anatomy because right now it's the best show on TV at manipulating the viewer. (Note the qualifier. It's definitely not the best show on TV.)
I always take Peter's advice very seriously. What's the Secret?
-J
Post a Comment