I was going to do an edit to the post below but decided to do this instead.
In all that silver lining stuff, I think it does bear saying that of course, I feel for the 281 CHUM staffers in news across the country who were pinkslipped the day the takeover was announced. Media concentration can indeed be scary when it reduces the number or quality of news voices being heard, but if you read the excellent coverage on Antonia's blog at The Toronto Star, you'll see that the "independence" and local focus of those news voices were already being compromised before the takeoever. Also, Adam Vaughn has got a pretty incendiary piece in eye magazine this week.
I still think there's no good reason to really stop the merger, but the CRTC should take a long hard look at establishing ground rules so that the public interest in news is not compromised.
For questions of impact on journalism -- another side of the business in need of desperate change, I usually defer to the interesting take of the Fine Young Journalist. After all, MSM dinosaurs, this guy's not just the future of the audience, he's the future of the people bringing you the news.
No comments:
Post a Comment