Both Bell Expressvu and Rogers (the big satellite and cable choices in my area) have PVR based recorders, menu driven, of course -- but they're just not as smart or crazysexycool as TIVO.
Each has their quirks. The bane of the Rogers model hearkens back to the bad old days of the imprecise VCR clock. It's a slave to the schedule grid, and if the Amnets are doing their usual shuck fly bait and switch, and start a movie or tv series early or end it late, it gets cut off.
There are certain shows and networks which are the worst culprits. ABC is flat out the worst. Usually when I remember, I try to program a few extra minutes on the end of the recording. It's cumbersome and I don't always remember. But even that doesn't always work. When you have a "tape every show" setting, it doesn't remember from week to week that you want to stop taping at 10:02, not 10:00.
Anyway, all that's a long way of getting to this. Now, this might not mean a lot to you if you don't watch LOST, but I'm not into doing spoilers, so you can go find out what I'm talking about somewhere else. If you do watch LOST, you should recognize my problem immediately.
Here's how LOST ended for me this week:
Ana Lucia (Michele Rodriguez, left) says, "I just can't do this anymore," meaning kill Henry, the Other they've got stashed in the hatch. Michael (Harold Perrineau, right) nods and says, "Give me the gun. Let me do it." Ana Lucia hands him the gun. Michael says, "I'm sorry."End of Recording.
I don't want to talk about it.
8 comments:
go to the LOST website right now.. they have the rest of the scene on it.
I've had the exact same problem. Rescue Me and The Shield have also been culprits.
But for Lost, I found that the best solution is to record the Canadian feed. For some reason, they finish on time even when the ABC feed runs late.
It's especially annoying with Lost since the last two minutes are usually the only good part of the show....oops, did I say that out loud? And yet I keep watching every week.
NBC works it the other way around...whenever I record The Office, I always get the first few minutes of ER. I'm glad I don't watch ER or I'd be angry ever week for missing the beginning.
Best episode ever.
abc.com is/was airing the show...
This is why we have the broadband distribution method which dare not speak its name....
Bill,
Two problems with that:
My evil cable co. currently throttles bandwidth for nefarious uses. it's inordinately hard to get around.
But more importantly, when you want to see the ending before you go to bed, that option isn't great.
No, instead, you go to stupid TWOP and spoil yourself, and then later you watch the ending on the website, but it doesn't matter cause youve been spoiled.
And you can't watch the whole ep online either, because you live in Canada.
But Callaghan, that's a great tip...from now on I'll PVR the show on CTV.
I guess I'm just not that rabid a Lost fan as you are, Denis. In fact, I don't even watch it...
(ducks)
I recorded it with my Videotron PVR on CTV and got the whole show, so I can confirm that the CTV feed is "safe".
I once came back from a trip and realized that I had missed the last 3 minutes of the "24" season finale because the PVR had run out of space... Yikes!
Post a Comment