Saturday, November 12, 2005

Lessons of the Sith

Boy, Star Wars: Episode III sucked.

I remember when I saw it last May. I was in New York for a few days for a family wedding and they had digital projection at the AMC on 42nd Street. So I bought my ticket to a matinee and settled in.

Undeniably powerful in places, sure, but I remember audibly groaning at most of the dialogue - and I wasn't the only one. After it was over I trundled out into the greatest city in the world and, you know, found a bar.

I really didn't think too much more about it. Well, since the DVD's out, last night on a lark I decided to rewatch it with my critical eye. I guess it's good when art allows you to salvage some meaning, even if it's not the meaning the creator intended.

REFLECTED DRAMA, RELY ON IT YOU MUST NOT.

Now that we've seen the three films of Lucas' second trilogy, the whole "why did they suck," "are they really kids films" etc. Let's lay all that fanboy stuff aside. What struck me watching the third film a second time was, though it was easily the best of the flawed second trilogy, it also relied heavily on you bringing your knowledge of the first trilogy into it. In fact, most of the emotional moments were tied and predicated on you knowing what happened next. Yet they did nothing to reveal or recontextualize those moments. I see this a whole lot in student scripts and scripts by new writers people ask me to read. A crime drama that spends so much time referencing Pulp Fiction or Goodfellas, that there's not really any room for any spark of originality. The fact that Lucas was cannibalizing himself was just sad. Really, you have to ask yourself, what beyond circumstantial evidence (the "CSI-what's") did you learn about the turning of Anakin from watching the third film?

In structuring the second trilogy, I think the biggest mistake they made was making it the story of Anakin. Because we know what happens to Anakin. The hero of the first trilogy is not Anakin, it's Luke. The natural heroic journey for the second trilogy would have been to track Obi-Wan. Then maybe you could have had an interesting character exploration -- how does one man's failure lead to the loss of a friend forever?

Near the end of Sith, it gets interesting for about fifteen seconds when Anakin thinks that there's something between Obi-Wan and Padme.

Now there's a story.

A triangle! Wow! I get it! A triangle between Padme, Obi-Wan and Anakin would have given the whole second trilogy so much more heft. The friendship would have been messier, it would have given rise to jealousies real and imagined. It would have given Obi Wan some soul. Imagine having to step aside because the woman you loved loved someone else?

Nah. Probably wouldn't have worked. Certainly didn't work in say, oh, I don't know... the King Arthur mythology.

What did the entire "Jedi's must not love" thing serve? And where did it come from? I mean, the idea of courtly love is a big part of the Knights of the Round Table, which is presumably the inspiration for the Jedi.

Throughout the first trilogy, whenever you heard about the Jedi Knights, you got a great chill. It was great. But by the second trilogy, the Jedi Knights became the Jedi Order. And ... you know... not so much with the chill. In fact, more with the yawning than the chilling.

Watching Episode III, I kept thinking that the fatal flaw that made the Jedi boring was this: with the dark side, you give in to your bad emotions. Okay, yup. Got it. That's not good.

But the Good side of the force, as embodied by the Jedi, seem to me to be not about keeping those bad emotions in check (which is interesting, and indicative of actual human struggle) but learning not to feel them at all. And why do I want to watch a film about characters who don't feel anything?

Pretty retarded.

WHEN WRITING GENRE, TO THE FANBOYS DO NOT LISTEN

Fanboys always like to nitpick. And George Lucas is nothing if not the ultimate geek. Fanboys like to know the reasons why spaceships work, and how this thing could happen. Trying to play that game is ri-dic-u-lous. They will find flaws that aren't there. And if you play that game, you'll wind up going down some weird paths.

Exhibit A: The MidiChlorians. No one cared how The Force worked. Exhibit B: Ben Kenobi and Yoda appearing after their deaths. No one cares that that's a skill that needed to be learned. It was nice to bring back a name check to Qui-Gon or whatever his name was, but in a film with nine endings, it just wasn't needed.

Ten or twelve minutes could have been cut from the ending by just getting to the hero shot of his uncle and aunt holding baby Luke on Tatooine.

COOL EFFECTS SHOW DON'T TELL DOES NOT MEAN

There's an article in the Globe & Mail today, picked up from the WSJ, that talks about how visual effects are becoming more cost effective for TV shows. I think they use the example that there are 200 more effects shots now in each episode of Smallville than there were a few years ago. And an effect that once cost $7500 now costs only $1500 to reproduce. One of the speculations is that this, combined with the move toward bigger TV's, might shift TV from being more about the writing and the story to the spectacle, a la the movies. Of course this means that TV then becomes a director's medium, just like film is now.

Once again, based on the example of Sith, and that whole second trilogy: I call bullshit.

George Lucas could have done anything. He proved pretty muscularly that he could show anything. That whole final fight on the Lava planet is some pretty jaw-droppingly awesome stuff.

But the rest of the film, the big ugly middle, is all talking. We hear about plots and plans and suspicions, and never see them. The film finally takes off only when the Jedi start getting offed. At least that's visual.

I have zero patience for the whole writer vs director pissing match. It's why I don't have much ambition to ever work in film. But the thing is: the directors who make good movies are the ones who actually do have an understanding of story.

Most directors I know think in terms of visual sequences, and cool moments, but not in terms of story. The ones who do -- Clint Eastwood, say -- inevitably turn in richer, better films. George Lucas is not a story guy. Michael Bay is not a story guy. And you know it from the second you see their films.

You know what show I've been watching a lot of lately? South Park. And you know the thing about South Park that's great? The stories. They actually have nice, simple, executable, logical stories.

George Lucas could learn a thing or two from Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I know he's developing series based on the Star Wars universe right now.

Whether I watch one second of those series is entirely dependent on whether he steps up and hires a showrunner. A writer.

Spectacle might fool me into the theater. But it won't keep me coming back week after week.

Which leads me to the final lesson of the Sith:

SURROUND YOURSELF WITH SYCOPHANTS, YOU MUST NOT

If there was ONE person around Lucas who could speak truth to power, maybe the films could have been better. Rick McCallum, you hack, I'm looking at you. Or whoever.

But for powerful producers or spec monkeys alike, the lesson is the same: you need someone reading your shit who will call you on your shit. Some writers I know are married to that person. That's great. For some, it's a trusted friend, or a fellow traveller. Whatever. Find that person you must. Or suck your work always will.

9 comments:

Kelly J. Crawford said...

Great post, Denis -- and I agree with every word. Lucas used to be a God to me. Now he's just a really bad writer who's more interested in Burger King tie-ins and catering to the under-12 set than having deep, logical and creative plot and character development.

Anonymous said...

Exactly and perfectly spot on. I was at the video shop yesterday, and they had Ep III playing, right where Anakin was chucking a tantrum for not being made a Jedi Knight. The dialogue was so bad it was embarrassing.

And you articulated perfectly my thoughts on the Jedi and emotions. They used to be cool, but thanks to Eps I-III, are now are just a bunch of boring ascetics.

Keep up the great posts!

Anonymous said...

The coolest explorations of the Jedi Knights happens not in the movies, but in Clone Wars Vol. 2, where Anakin is knighted. And actually the cartoon captured a few things much, much better than the prequel.

I agree with your post, and you even made me depressed with a prequel trilogy that could have been with the idea of structuring the story around Obi-Wan, and not Anakin.

I'm new to your blog and have been enjoying it, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

StargazerXL said...

Denis, you are full of shit. :-) Have the prequel trilogy be about Obi-Wan? That's crazy; a significant part of the story, all six episodes, is about children making up for the mistakes of their parents. Hence, the fall of Anakin (first three movies) and his redemption by his kids (second three movies). Putting the focus on Obi-Wan would fuck up that whole dynamic. Also, a love triange between Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme? That is so cliche' you immediately recognized the Arthurian overtones! The other significant part of the story (all six episodes) is watching the rise of the Empire (first three movies) through the machinations of Palpatine, and the fall of the Empire (last three movies) through the Rebellion.

Furthermore, the Jedi Knights *were* boring ascetics. Surprise! The "prophecy" was for Anakin to bring balance to the Force, which he does by destroying both extremes the adherents to the Force have become. In this case, I think it is important to see that the Jedi were a bunch of starched shirts. Since in the last three movies, we really don't know what the Jedi were all about, we actually projected that they were cool, when they really weren't. They were weird monks that grabbed children while they were young, put them through educational camps, and told them they couldn't have any relationships when they got older. After the Jedi and the Sith both get stomped, it falls to Luke to come up with more-balanced, middle-path approach to the Force, one that includes family, friends and kids!

I guess I'm tired of people slagging the prequel trilogy in an offhand manner (e.g,. "it sucked"). I suspect that this is a "negative meme" going through our culture, rather than an opinion. The very popularity of the original trilogy was, I think, a "positive meme" that worked to make those movies better than they really were. (I couldn't believe how simple the original "Star Wars" was when I saw it for the first time after 10 years.) I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. All six movies are rather remarkable displays of well-realized fantasy. A joy to watch but not to dwell too much on (positively or negatively).

DMc said...

Oh well -- so long as we're talking memes...

The Phantom Menace came out in 1999.

It's six years later. Is anyone talking about the Pod Race?

Yet you'll still run into convos about the Cantina at Mos Eisley. If you say "Greedo shot first," people know what you mean. "You're a little short for a stormtrooper" is more memorable than roughly any line in the first, second, or third movie. "The Force is Strong with this one" or "Luke, I am your father" is going to knock boots far, far longer than "If you're not with me, you're my enemy." Now is that due to the twenty two year head start -- okay. Maybe. But really, honestly, do you think that in the grand scheme of things that The Phantom Menace will occupy even a similar -- not equal -- but similar position in the collective zeitgeist in the year 2021?

I know what George Lucas' arguments about his trilogy are; he got to make them - with both the movies themselves and in all the extras and in all the press. And the net result is that you find a public underwhelmed.

If you take the "Star Wars" freight out of the occasion, The second trilogy is no more or less diverting than "Battle Beyond The Stars," which is to say - not very.

Cliche describes the way something is treated - not necessarily the underlying idea. A love triangle has been part of popular culture since, oh...Sophocles, really -- but so long as you give it a new spin, people keep enjoying it. Boy meets girl boy loses girl boy gets girl is every romantic comedy ever, but people still come up with fresh examples of the trope.


The thesis you present, ie: "what both trilogies are really about" would be fine and dandy except for the greater narrative demand, almost kind of the narrative hippocratic oath: thou shalt not bore.

If you do a sequel that deals with information that has already been out there, if you want it to not be superfluous, it's up to you to make people think differently about the entire context.

Godfather II does this, because it gives us new insight into Michael and where he comes from by telling us the story of his father and how he came to where he was. We learn about both men and what connects them.

In Star Wars, on the other hand, by your own example, the first series (linearly) repudiates what you learn in the second (or what we know about the original) series -- so the sin that you accuse me of, changing points of view, is already done.

If the series played out in linear order, your argument might hold merit. But instead, the second series is more of a reset button on the first series, which guarantees an unhappy audience and an unsatisfying narrative, because you've betrayed the very principles of the series that attracted people to it in the first place.

The "solutions" i come up with, are, of course, armchair quarterbacking and I recognize that. But I'm also fairly confident that from the test of time department, most people even thirty years from now are no more going to praise or analyse the 1990's Star Wars trilogy with any more kindness than they currently reserve for the Godfather, Part III.

If you're going to add to a mythology, add to it. Make us understand it better. don't ask for a do-over -- especially on the things that people loved about the thing in the first place.

And anyway, the storytelling arguments you make do nothing to deal with issues of leaden pacing, terrible acting, and laugh out loud poor dialogue.

As a contrarian argument, it's fun...but if you're serious, well...that's another matter.

StargazerXL said...

Well, I can't divine the future, especially how the entire SW series will be regarded. My suggestion about memes was about the previous and current perception of Star Wars. It seems to me the original trilogy got off easy and the prequels didn't, yet the movies are really comparable in quality. There were some real clunkers in those original movies that seem to have been forgotten...Luke acting like a total whiner in Star Wars, Yoda acting like an crazy old coot (and looking like a daft puppet) in Empire, "Who's there? Someone who loves you!" in Return, Ewoks (christ!) in Return, etc. Yes, leaden pacing, terrible acting, and laugh out loud poor dialogue. There were some great lines in those original movies too. But I grew up with those lines, and so did a lot of people, and they're part of our culture and something beyond the movies themselves. Sticking to the movies, it seems really inconsistent to praise one and damn the other in such a sweeping manner.

Also, the movies are supposed to be seen in linear, not chronological, order, so I guess I can't get too upset about the "reset" you claim has happened. I
guess I can view them that way but you can't. (Neiner neiner. ) I think the mythology was added to, by the prequels and they weren't a "do-over".
Darth Vader became less of a cut-out cardboard character and his relationships were a lot more fleshed out.

StargazerXL said...

I wouldn't be so sure that everyone over 15 thinks the way you do, Konrad. I'm guessing from your comment, however, that you are, say...16? I mean
calling me an idiot because I disagreed with Denis (and yourself?)

When you grow up, you'll discover that the world doesn't work the way you think it should.

DMc said...

Alright chickens, no fighting.

Stargy, boy - flame bait is flame bait. And I would think that the guy who started off his comment by telling me I was full of shit would at least be prepared to wear a cup and take a couple hits.

Yeah, I know - you put a smiley afterward. That's not an all purpose pass.

I welcome the contrary view you express, but it's diminished a bit if you don't recognize that it's a contrary view, and that public consensus, by and large, is not with you on this one.

Don't get me wrong -- I love contrarians. I've been known to be one myself. But let's not get silly.

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me how the Matrix sequels were unfairly judged for their almost breathtaking level of suckage.

StargazerXL said...

Fair enough. What I've been trying to say is that the prequels are *comparable* to the original trilogy. I have not said that they were equal to the originals. Here, I will say that I thought the originals were better, but I'll dispute the notion that the sequels "sucked" especially to the degree that many people,
including yourself, have vociferously proclaimed.

As for the public, the IMDB lists the public ratings for the SW movies (in chronological order) as 6.4, 7.0, 8.0, 8.8, 8.8, and 8.2/10, each value an average of ~100000 ratings. While the prequels are certainly lower rated than the originals, they are certainly well above "suckage" territory. In fact, I don't seem to out of step with the public after all.

Oh, and "Battle Beyond the Stars," which I had the misfortune of seeing for my 11th birthday, and which, even then, I thought was absolutely terrible (except for Sybil Danning's metal bikini) gets a 4.9/10 based on 1200 votes on the IMDB. So again, I thought that movie sucked, and I don't seem to be out of step with the public on that one either.

Hunh, did you know that *John Sayles* wrote the screenplay for Battle Beyond the Stars? Me neiither.
Gotta love the IMDB.