
I thought I should tell you all first, since you're my supportive readers. I've just sold my next series. I'm very excited about it as it's a high concept comedy, and I think it's time we did more of those.
Mike Crain, Karatist Preacher goes into Production in early 2007. It's the hilarious, offbeat, and yet socially redemptive tale of a young preacher who roams the country dispensing bible wisdom and kicking ass -- whoremongers, idolators, liars, jezebels, hypocrites, crooked CEO's, dishonest people, and Rush Limbaugh fans, you cannot escape the righteous words, and deadly chop of Mike Crain. Do not even try. You will fail. As Karatist Preachers go, Mike Crain is the man. Fundamentalists -- Mike Crain will go John 3:16 on your ass before you can yell gay marriage amendment. You know why Mike Crain is so formidable? Because Mike Crain follows the Gospel of Matthew. You know, the one about love and stuff. If you're a hater, then Mike Crain has a message for you: "feel my righteous chop, sinner." Mike Crain is a blue state karatist kicking machine. He'll bring a tear to your eye, and his sidekick, Blue, will warm your heart.
As far as I know (and I hope you'll correct me on this if I'm wrong) this is the first television series to ever be optioned off an album cover.
We have a generous, 22 episode commitment from a network I won't name now, because they'll be putting out a press release soon.
Jon Heder has been signed to play Mike Crain. We're all very excited. I'm buying a house off this deal. And best of all, the shit just writes itself.
And then I woke up. And was sad.
Somewhere, in some alternate dimension maybe, Mike Crain: Karatist Preacher is entering its fifth season. And in this alternate dimension, I am very happy with my split-level five bedroom house with a nice view of the lake, 20 minutes from downtown Manhattan, where I live with my loving wife, Rachel McAdams.
8 comments:
You had me, man. I was getting all Gore Vidal-y there for a minute.
Hmph! Rachel McAdams? Fine, if you like porridge for supper. But I thought you were a steak man, Denis. So, how about something a little more luscious and juicy like...Angelina Jolie -- or me?
Denis -
The show needs a talking monkey. You know, like Bj and the Bear only that monkey didn't talk, just tweaked the nipples of the female guest stars that week.
But a talking kung fu monkey that is Mike's mentor?
Gold.
You could make good money with that - maybe even David E. Kelley money. How can you beat a guy who receives the word of God from a talking chimp?
He needs a car too. The MC action vehicle to get the kids interested...and maybe the car transforms into a "Kung Fu Robot Soldier of God!"
Now you're talking Spielberg...
By the way, where is there a view of a lake 20 minutes from downtown Manhattan?
Damn! I read you via RSS feed and I didn't get the photo with the post so I believed you for a minute... until I clicked on the link to congratulate you and read the rest of the post!
I think you should give up all your writing projects and concentrate on this one. It's brilliant. ;-)
"By the way, where is there a view of a lake 20 minutes from downtown Manhattan?"
Never Never Land?
Alex,
I'll type this as slowly as I can.
In the alternate universe where Mike Crain, Karatist Preacher has won four consecutive Emmys for Best Comedy Series, there are some striking differences and some amazing similarities.
First of all, obviously, I am still a writer. There is also a famous Actress named Rachel McAdams. She still came to prominence in Mean Girls, Red Eye, and Wedding Crashers, (which, for some reason, starred Luke and not Owen Wilson.) However, she also won the Tony for her striking interpretation of both the dramatic and dark comic overtones in the record breaking Broadway Musical I wrote based on Ibsen's Hedda Gabbler. (It is on this project, which I dashed off in the hiatus between season 1 and 2 of Mike Crain, where we met.) In this universe, Hedda! is now in its 2nd, record breaking year. Nathan Lane has just left the role of Jorge, and is in previews as an hilarious Torvald in my 2nd straight Ibsen Musical, "Dolls!" based on "A Doll's House."
In this universe, Al Gore is finishing out his 2nd term as President, and the Washington Press corps is stunned by how funny he turned out to be.
The West Wing is entering its ninth fabulous season under the esteemed tutelage of Aaron Sorkin, whose comedy "Sports Night", recently ended its run on ABC, followed by an hour long special devoted to a look back on the beloved six year run of fan favorite, "My So Called Life."
In this universe, the CBC has seven top rated dramas, all created by people I know. I left Canada reluctantly, because it was very clean, but I just couldn't resist the lure of being that close to Manhattan, yet still surrounded by the idyllic beauty and convenience of the lake. The lake that's 20 minutes from Manhattan. Where we drive with our hybrids that all get 100 miles to the gallon, thanks to President Gore.
There are times, in this alternate reality, where I survey the way things are and I wonder if really life could be better. Then I just slip on one of the later Beatles albums -- you know, the ones from the 70's. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll look at the PVR as Rachel dozes sleepily on my lap and notice that John Lennon is on Letterman. He looks pretty good for his age, don't you think?
I just wanted to say that I like your blog.
I was doing google searches on Mike Crain and found it.
A buddy of mine sent me the picture and I recognized the guy.
No joke, Mike Crain runs a church camp in Tennessee. I went to it in the late 90's. He was in his 60's and still doing the karate. The last time I was there was 10 years ago but from what I heard he is still kicking. The pun was intended.
Post a Comment