Monday, May 29, 2006

Higgeldy-Pig-Ugly

Well, whilst you Yanquis revel in your Memorial Day, lining up to see X3 (it's Ratner, people! Ratner! If you reward hackery, hackery will be all you ever get!) Here in Dead Things City everyone woke up to an illegal transit strike. Eight hundred maintenance workers brought the whole system to its knees with no warning, and despite the fact that they signed and ratified a contract last year.

The weather forecast for Toronto today is going to be very Hot and Humid, with the air quality expected to be poor, due to smog.

In Detroit there would be gunshots.

In Toronto, I want you to imagine lots and lots of passive aggressive people spitting out "Sorrrrry!" as they bodycheck each other to get into cabs. Seriously. You haven't lived until you've experienced how a "Sorrrry" can actually mean, "Fuck. You. To. Death."

That's apropos of nothing except this:

A few people (or it may be the same hectoring blogofan, I can't be bothered to check) have asked about the promised but ne'er delivered fourth installment of the Spec Scripts Series -- on what to do after you do your spec script -- and submitting in Canada.

What I want to say is -- you guessed it -- "Sorrrry!"

Nah. The truth is that I was all set to write that, but somewhere in between the thinking and the typing, I actually changed my mind about a lot of what I was going to say in the post. There's a shifting playing field right now in Canadian television, and the honest thing is that a lot of the advice I was going to bust out might not be relevant anymore. So rather than teach you the wonders of shooting on 3/4 inch and 2 inch videotape (Thank you, University. Seriously, that's what we shot on. The same kids today have a full HD studio) I have let it go. If I can figure what to say on the subject, I will.

In the meantime, if you're a spec writer, I firmly believe that the one blog you should be reading right now is Jane Espenson. Every day, a firm, practical, juicy, crafty nugget of specwriter's gold. Serious. Go. Go now.

2 comments:

Joe Clark said...

Does giving the writer of Charlie Jade even more shows to work on constitute “reward[ing] hackery”?

DMc said...

This is the point where I could point out the great, forgettable movies written by people like Dorothy Parker, or Mankiewicz or Welles -- or ...and the list goes on.

But instead, probably the prudent course is this: what've you done, bub? Give it. And tell you what, if you have a good answer, maybe next time I pay a bit more attention to the captioning. Otherwise, you're just being contrarian to be mean. Great if you feel better. If you don't, get bent.

Did I say that out loud? Oh well.