I watched The Squid and The Whale on the weekend, and quite enjoyed it. The evocation of 1986 was subtle and clever, the performances were all solid, and I was intrigued by how the characters could be sympathetic even when they were saying and doing ugly things that were messing up their kids.
It was also yet another note in what's becoming my standard chorus: why I write TV, not movies.
Though I enjoyed the movie very much, at the end of it, I didn't want to spend any more time with the characters. The story about them was over. They were movie characters, I saw them at an interesting time in their lives (the span of the movie) and once that story came to its resolution, I had no wish to revisit them. What was interesting about them was done, and the parts that were unpleasant, weren't unpleasant in a 'have to see more' kind of way.
This, of course, is the very essence of a movie. It's probably one of the reasons why sequels to good movies (as opposed to Popcorn movies) usually kind of blow.
I admire the craft and the toil of any screenwriter who comes up with a competent, workable, readable screenplay. There's a lot stacked against you -- and I'm not just talking about the lack of respect you get from other stakeholders in the moviemaking process. But I still don't think it holds a candle to conceiving a really great television series.
Because a series is about creating a world from which multiple stories will spring. A well-crafted movie script is building a house. A well-crafted TV series is building a village.
Which is why it sometimes takes a village of writers to truly make it fly -- but that's a point for another time.
The delicate balance that one strikes when coming up with an original TV series is a living, organic compromise between the need to make a strong impression, and the need for space. Your character, setting, situation, secondary characters -- all need to be clearly mapped out so that when we meet them, we have an entire sense of who they are -- but at the same time, you have to leave room so that the characters can change and grow, and the situation can be re-invented, and the world you know so well can surprise you.
I'm not talking about a show like LOST here, that's built on mystery and surprise, I'm talking about your solid, kitchen-sink character based dramas.
So -- you can't blow it all in the Pilot, but at the same time, you must always remember the feeling you need to evoke at the end of the pilot: a desire to return. If people don't want to go back and see more from those characters, spend more time in that world, then you've got a situation like my reaction to The Squid and the Whale. You're done. You've written a movie, not a TV show.
In Canada, where there is a lot less opportunity, traditionally you've had a lot of crossover from people who write movies to tv series. To my mind, the fundamental differences between the two mediums, and the writer's inability to grasp this, has hamstrung more than a few series before they ever got going.
And there's another bugaboo that constricts and constrains the development of series television: fear of dynamic uncertainty.
What do I mean by that?
Well, a standard part of the tortured development process in this country (and I'm speaking not just from my own experience here; this is gathered from at least half a dozen writers I know who are currently, or have recently developed shows) is coming up with ever-more-detailed character descriptions and arcs. Sometimes a network will demand page after page of information about a character and where they came from. Early life, family life, romantic trauma in their pasts -- in short, everything that makes them what they are.
It's not hard to understand why. A TV series is a huge risk. It's very expensive. And hard to get going, and at the end of the day, you don't want to face the most terrifying idea of all:
It has to be allowed to develop organically as it goes along.
By asking for page after page of backstory, what the developing partner thinks they're getting is a fully-fleshed out character that will make the series all the more compelling.
But to a writer, a real writer, or a team of writers who are clicking and sparking on the same page, that's going to be, in the end, just a lot of busywork. You have to do it -- after all, you're not paying for the show, are you? But it doesn't really help. And you have to have the freedom to ignore all that backstory if the character takes you in another direction.
There's a problem I call "backstory fatigue." I've seen it quite a bit working on Canadian shows. You're talking about a story point and somebody says something about the character, and you have to shake your head and say, "that's not in the show yet."
One of the problems of writing so much backstory is that you get confused. You lose touch with what's been revealed to the audience and what still sits in that brick of a development document, begging to be woven into the story. Or not, as the case may be.
I'm starting to think that much of the criticism of Canadian stories being "slow to develop" is grounded in the desire to work more of the brick into the storytelling. The reality is that beyond the broad strokes of your character, your audience only needs to know what they need to know as demanded by the story... anything else is just slowing you down.
In The West Wing, for two seasons or so, Bartlet had two daughters, Annie and Zoe. You saw Zoe, and Annie was just talked about. But then they needed a third daughter. And so they invented Ellie. And it worked. You know why? Because they'd been clever enough to never specify that Bartlet had two daughters. (which surely would have happened had they been developing the show with the standard Candian brick of a bible.) They told you only what you, as the audience, needed to know in the drama at the time, which left open the storytelling possibilities until there was a need for a third daughter. Then, rather than have to "work in" that they have three daughters, that reveal of backstory drives a story of its own, in its proper time, that also reveals character.
That is the high wire act that is series television.
In Season One of The Sopranos, you see Tony's sister. In Season Two, Aida Turturro shows up and we meet Janice, the older sister. Ah. Now we have another piece of Tony. In season five, we meet Tony's good friend and cousin Tony B. Wow. We now see another side of Tony.
We didn't need to hear about Tony B. at the beginning-- only when he became relevant. Going back to The X-Files, we had the setup off the top: Mulder was a believer, Scully was a scientific skeptic. Only a couple of seasons into it did you learn that Scully had religious faith -- which Mulder derided. This was not in the show at the beginning. It does not live or exist anywhere in a bible document. It was, instead, a dynamic invention by the writers that served to illuminate the characters down the road -- and do so in a wonderfully evocative, inventive story.
It's hard to have faith. In God, in writing, in proof of concept. But as much as people want to take the uncertainty out of the development process, that can never happen. Successful series run for years, which means that everyone involved with them grows, changes and develops as surely as the characters and world they're inventing. You can't front load the process.
Which doesn't mean anyone's going to stop trying to do exactly that.
Ah well, c'est la guerre.
4 comments:
...it's true, it's acknowledging that the evolution of an ongoing tv series is an organic process - one that's affected by so many unknown factors...the writers room and what ideas and perspectives they bring to the table, real life events that can impact and should be reflected in world of the series, and what I feel can be the biggest factor...the actors that 'become' the characters and how they interact...their chemistry - I've worked on a series where a past love affair that reignites was written for two lead characters, but when cast and performed, it wasn't working...nobody 'believed' it.
But there was something developing between one of those characters and another character, so shifted that love story to those two on the fly. And it worked, but had to be allowed to happen...even though it affected stories, arcs, the entire series.
Maybe I'm just an obsessive planner/over-thinker -- actually, I know I am -- but I don't necessarily agree with your backstory fatigue problem, Denis. I have no doubt that it does happen. You make a bible with extensive character descriptions, and then try not to write yourself into a corner when you suddenly feel inspired by a new plot idea or the unexpected chemistry between two actors.
I may not be a brilliant screenwriter but I am a rather cunning strategist and, as I said early, an obsessive planner. My bible runs about 40 pages and I've got oodles of background info on every character -- even those who only make an appearance or two -- and it's from that, that I was able to develop somewhat detailed synopses for about 40 of the 52 episodes of my series. Without that bible, all that background info, I would've just stumbled through without focus or direction.
Sure, I understand that some of the best stuff comes from working 'organically' but I'm not that type of showrunner. It's not that I'm rigid in my thinking and won't allow for any deviation from the 'master plan'. It's just that I need a clear understanding, a defined road to follow, in order to get where I need to be. Like when I travel, for instance. Every kilometer and every hour of my road trips to New York City or Toronto are mapped out, right on down to what restaurant I'm going to have supper at when I get there, what I'm going to order to eat, and how long my dining experience will last (yeah, I know, just be glad you're not married to me). And while I can go with the flow if I encounter a road contruction crew in my path or learn that the restaurant of my choice closed down a week earlier, I still need to have that plan.
In regards to The Black Tower, every major and minor story arch, every conflict, every character introduction as well as their demise is already laid out in my bible. My friend Jeff Martin, former lead singer of The Tea Party, is already working on some original music for the show, most of which will compliment these pre-planned plot points. I have no intention of deviating from my master plan, but I also understand that shit happens, and will go with the flow if something goes awry at the last minute.
There is one major caveat to the whole organic/dynamic growth idea: it must be "true". Otherwise you run into the "Trekkie Syndrome".
See, while it is quite useful to write "on the fly" and have room to manoeuvre, writing without an extensive bible or ground rules can be tricky - you run the risk of contradicting yourself or others. The longer your show runs, the greater the odds that you WILL contradict yourself, if only in small details.
The "Trekkie Syndrome" is that classic geek question to William Shatner: "If in episode 3.2 the Whatchamacallits were suchandsuch, how is it that in episode 7.5 they're thisandthat?"
Sure, it may be a "minor" detail, but to the true fan it makes for a jarring experience and cracks the fourth wall - we become "aware" of the writer and his/her oversight.
I relate it more to comic books. Spider-Man has been around forever. I grew up reading that stuff. When I pick up an issue these days, it is not uncommon for me to notice a contradiction between what the writer created for a particular issue, and what had been established 150 issues ago. Again, it may be minor, but it is disappointing to fans because it is not "true".
Would a bible include such minor details? Perhaps not (unless it's Kelly's), but writers, especially guest writers, face a daunting task if they wish to stay true to the established world.
It's one of those situations where the customer doesn't notice if you do it right, but make a mistake...
Phil,
Nice catch.
The reality is that Sci Fi is usually one of the genres where they do employ an extensive bible. In fact, a few American writers I've corresponded with seem surprised that in Canada you're required to generate a bible for a series that doesn't have sci fi to it.
The difference, of course, with Sci fi is that you're not just inventing a world -- you're inventing a world. Elements of technology, social makeup, "rules" of both the physical and any other kind -- all must be laid out and must be consistent.
With a show like Star Trek, you start building such a mountain of stuff that after a while, never mind the bible, you need someone like the Okudas to keep things straight.
Then again, I suppose that's not really any different than, say, having the medical advisor or the cop advisor on that genre of TV shows.
Once you establish a rule, you do have to be consistent -- if they stated that Bartlet had two daughters, introducing the third would have been a real problem. You keep it loose for that reason.
But once you make something canon, you do have to keep it straight. You will probably make little mistakes here and there, because, you know, you're human -- but one of the more interesting things I discovered from my time in Sci Fi was that genre fans LOVE to poke holes -- but half the time, their nitpicks about how this couldn't work and that couldn't work aren't nearly as airtight as they think.
Nine times out of ten, the girl figuring out the script actually does know the implications and logic of the story better than you do. But that doesn't stop internetties from decrying loudly errors of fact or continuity or science that are none of the three.
And Kelly, I hope that works out for you. Personally, I'd never in a million years think to develop that far ahead. In 100 percent of the shows I've been on -- the solutions you come up with out of the process are better than whatever your first blush idea was.
Even if your first blush idea was actually your 400th.
Post a Comment