JUST BEFORE my cold - so cold - CBC Newsworld interview this afternoon, I attended an "In Conversation With..." session with Susanne Daniels, the President of Lifetime Networks.
In a relaxed interview with Bill Carter from The New York Times, Daniels was refreshingly upfront, and pretty confident, about the challenge she's facing.
Daniels came to Lifetime from the WB, where, as an exec she managed to shepherd everything from Smallville to Buffy to Dawson's Creek. She worked with Kevin Williamson before Scream, J.J. Abrahms before he was a juggernaut, and Joss Whedon when his most reliable credit was one season on Roseanne.
So she knows talent.
She also knows talent close to home, since her husband, Greg Daniels, is the Exec Producer of The Office. Now that's one creative household.
She also said something that I've never heard a network exec say ever:
Don't always listen to the networks when they say what they want. You have to develop the thing you're passionate about. She admitted, in fact, that things change so quickly in the network game that you're better off going with your vision, and that networks often don't know what they want.
Wow. Would that there were 100 more network execs who thought just like her.
Daniels has no small task trying to bring Lifetime back. Her impression when she joined the network was that it seemed to be dated, and a little stuck in the past. She related stories about being on a plane and telling her seatmate what she did for a living and getting a funny look back as she said, "yeah, I used to watch your movies." "Give me a little while," Daniels said, "I'm going to try to get you back."
How that's going to translate into a new movie strategy? Daniels was a little unclear on that point. Seems like she's still working through it herself. But she was bullish on the upcoming slate of original dramas they're launching this summer, including Army Wives, which was (according to Daniels) Lifetime's most successful original program premiere in the channel's history. There are two more series going up this summer, which is a big slate for a cable channel. Daniels says, "that's the thing about cable. Look at USA with Monk. F/X and The Shield... You need one breakout series and you can build your whole channel around it."
So the three dramas this summer, as well as a couple of interesting sounding reality series (a Psychic Challenge?) is Daniels' way of rolling the dice to try and bring the viewers back.
But still, it's going to be a bear. Because as Carter pointed out, 55% of the TV viewing audience is female. That's not exactly a niche. How do you program for a niche that's that large and diverse? Especially when ABC is basically doing the same thing?
Now, Blood Ties fans, you've been very patient up til now, so here's what she said about Blood Ties. Late in the session she mentioned the acquisition of the show and used it as an example of how other considerations come into play. "The show did well for us - not spectacular, not a breakout...but it was one of the most downloaded shows consistently on Itunes."
In chitchat after the session, Daniels was even more enthusiastic about the show. Part of the reason for holding back those last ten episodes for October was that they are going to try a real push to build a whole night around Blood Ties. Daniels thinks that the show hasn't reached its full ratings potential, and they can get it there with better attention and positioning in the fall.
It's hard sometimes for fans to understand that the business realities do sometimes get in the way of the need for instant gratification...but to me, it sounds like a very smart and savvy programmer is thinking that she's got a great property that can do better with a little more help.
So loyal Blood Ties fans -- your efforts have paid off. The downloads are noticed, as is the enthusiasm out there. And yeah, waiting sucks, but sounds to me like you've got someone in the Executive Suite who's looking to try and do on her end, everything you're already doing on yours. This is a great thing.
But...
Before you ask....no -- she didn't say anything about that.
19 comments:
Wow. There's so much encouraging in this post, I don't know where to start!
One of my favorite gigs ever was a short I was in about five years ago, about a woman obsessed with the disease/peril/etc.-of-the-week movies filling the schedule of an extremely thinly veiled parody of Lifetime.
If Suzanne Daniels pulls off what she's talking about, and BT really is the tip of the spear in making more of their "Television for Women" something this woman will watch? That film is going to stop being funny.
All in all, I think I'll take the tradeoff. :-)
Combined with Peter Mohan's comments in his scifitalk podcast, I'm pretty optimistic about you having to work in Vancouver again soon ;-)
Should we maybe put Ms. Daniel's name on the flood of postcards we're sending to Lifetime?
With the talk of iTunes, the streaming video on network Websites, onDemand options with cable and TiVo, I so wish that networks would push the envelopes of these options, especially with TiVo. I would watch so much more of these shows if I could get the streaming video or onDemand through the TiVo rather than having to use the stuttered streaming on the Internet or menu options through onDemand.
On top of that, wouldn't have to deal with scheduling conflicts of my favorite shows (especially now that my TiVo can pretty much only record one channel at time since Chicago Comcast has expanded the digital only channel selection and cancelling analog selection). Seriously, having the providers work with MY schedule would create so much more viewership compared to me having to conform to THEIR schedule.
This is probably the most encouraging blog post I've read in a while, not only for Blood Ties, but also for the industry as a whole. We need more people at the top who think like this.
We need marketing groups who are involved in fan communities and fan cultures (a la Heroes) and who will play into and deliver to their audience. I'm super excited to see what they do in October. Do they need any help? Where can I send my resume? :)
Yes, Teresa, I would put her name on it…what have you got to loose?
Sounds like if we all work together…we can get the gang back together!!
Tamaryn, have you been paying attention at to the Sopranos discussions out there? It's interesting, in a reflection to your comment about the marketing being involved in the fans and communities. . .along with the recent spate Fan Fic talk that DMC has inspired on the Internet.
Angie,
First of all, it's wonderful that you have such passion about the show.That's really great.
But I have to ask, beyond getting a good rant out of your system, what were you hoping to accomplish here?
You seem to have managed to take offence at everything Daniels said, and framed a bunch of ad hominem attacks, (on her and her husband, which is a little weird.) because Daniels supposedly doesn't love the show as much as you do.
But a) that's not her job, and b) what she said about the show made the showrunner, and the people who worked on it, extraordinarily pleased. We feel she's a big supporter of us, and she's doing everything she can from a business point of view to make the show work well. And she sees signs -- like the Itunes data -- that seems to suggest they can market the show better. All of that is good. It's really good.
What seems to have happened here is that you've reacted very emotionally and have cast Daniels into the role of the "uncaring suit" -- which is a trap that a lot of scifi/fantasy genre fans fall into.
But she's not an uncaring suit. she's an exec looking to make things work.
I don't know if you see this, and I know your heart is in the right place. But this kind of approach is something I would hope fans of Blood Ties would never, ever, ever take. Because it's not going to help the show at all. It's the kind of thing that actually hurts it. Susanne Daniels has a track record, and wants the same thing you want. She just approaches it from the business end, which is entirely appropriate. Roasting her for doing her job is a bit perverse, and a bit inappropriate, in my humble opinion.
I was actually quite surprised that Lifetime took on Blood Ties. Sure, the show has a pretty strong female lead, but supernatural stuff on Lifetime? For sci-fi/fantasy fans, strikes me as a great gift rather than anything else.
If it were the Sci-Fi channel on the other hand. . .. ;b
Sorry from Angie..I agree 110 % in what you said e-mail by resopnse back to me and I will decide if I would like to send it to her personally or trash it altogether...
I'm very optimistic after reading about Suzanne Daniels reasons for showing the last 10 episodes of Blood Ties this October. It sounds to me they plan to nurture BT, place it in a better suited time slot and then see what the show can do for Lifetime.
Word of mouth alone really put Blood Ties in its current standing, ratings wise with Lifetime. I would hazard a guess that the majority who watch it, download it, talk about etc. never normally watch Lifetime. With this show, Lifetime has taken a step to diversify it's viewers. I know I never watched Lifetime till this show. This shows pumps new blood into a stale network and to quote Ms. Daniels about Lifetime "Her impression when she joined the network was that it seemed to be dated, and a little stuck in the past. is stale" and I couldn't agree more. So kudos to Ms. Daniels for her foresight, initiative and being proactive where Blood Ties is concerned.
The current BT viewers have been doing major networking to pull new viewers in (one of the reasons for the iTunes downloads) and once it returns this fall in a better more suited time slot, just watch BT ratings knock Lifetimes socks off!
The Lex,
No, I haven't. It wasn't a show I followed. (I know I know...don't shoot me...or fade me to black...eep!)
I don't know how my comment relates to fanfiction. I simply meant that Heroes (as an example) is doing a smashing job at marketing their brand and keeping up with fan interest and I would imagine there are other shows doing this also...but I really think Blood Ties could go somewhere with that same kind of marketing Model...although not to the same extreme. And on all accounts, they have done so a little bit by use of the Blood Blog...what's amazing is the market jewels coming out of that blog that I might try if I were in a position of power.
I too was surprised that LT picked up BT...but hey, why not? When what you have isn't working try something off the wall; what have you got to loose?
Denis, you're absolutely right. It's really supportive and I completely understand the business aspects of where they're coming from...I don't always agree but in this case it's promising. "Season Two" is almost a relaunch in a way.
I didn't follow Sopranos much, either, but for some reason, I can't avoid hearing something about the finale practically everywhere I go. The whole marketing to the fans just struck a Sopranos finale chord with me.
Angie: Not to be rude poking my nose in someone else's conversation, but if you don't mind a friendly word from a fellow fan who's been around this block a few times...
DMc is right on the money: This lady is on our side. About as much so as it's possible for anyone in her position to be. Enough so that my eyes just about fell out of my head at some of the quotes in his post.
The ball is in our court at this point to work with her. She has a whole channel to rebuild, and she believes the show we care about should be a substantial part of it. That's HUGE. The worst thing we can do is make her regret it.
For anybody reading through this, the flow's probably not going to make sense.
A commenter named "Angie" posted a bit of a screed against Susanne Daniels. Angie comes from a position of really loving Blood Ties, and thinking that Daniels has somehow slighted the show. That's what a couple of people, myself included, were responding to.
Angie subsequently decided to delete her comment, which is her prerogative, of course...but I tend to come from the place of, if you post something publicly, you should stand by it, and if you change your mind, say, "okay, you've convinced me."
Because others took their time to comment and consider the original post, i thought we should at least note the context in which the comments took place.
Denis: I have to say how much I appreciate you and Tanya keeping the Blood Ties fans as much in the information loop as you're allowed. It's incredibly frustrating having to wait as long as we're having to wait but as you have explained Lifetime has their reasons.
I wish they wouldn't be so darned stingy about the release date on the dvd's but I suspect thats so they can rachet up the publicity on them and charge more for them around Christmas. I'm sorry, did I say that aloud? Not a critism, just a speculation. They'd be fools not to play it that way, its just makes it more frustrating to be a fan though.
M.Daly, yer welcome. I may not agree on things like fanfic, but that doesn't mean that I don't respect fans and feel grateful for their support, and think that maybe that means a bit of responsibiilty of trying to keep them in the loop. Tanya, if anything, is even more patient than I. She sets a great example.
As to your question though, don't be so hard on Lifetime re: DVD releases. I'm not sure that Lifetime has much to do with that.
For Lifetime, Blood Ties is an acquired show. It's not something they produce. It was produced by a Canadian company, and that company and their partners have to distribute the show around the world. The budget and profit is made first from TV sales to other countries. Blood Ties went to market a couple of months ago and did really well -- sold all around the world, in fact.
Now all those TV channels that bought BT have to run them. In Canada, the show hasn't even started yet (It begins in August.) The company would be foolish to bring out the DVD before it's aired in the countries who paid good money for TV rights.
With piracy and torrenting a problem, there has to be the space for the countries to air the season first.
This used to happen all the time and you never heard about it, because there was no internet, and you didn't really hear about a show or a movie until it opened in your area or the publicity started for your local tv airing.
Big conglomerates like Sony have responded by now opening their movies all over the world at once, and paying for advertising all over the world at once. You can do that if you're a huge multinational. You can't do it if you're a small Canadian company.
The perception is that "three to four months" for a DVD release is "normal." But it's not "normal." It's incredibly fast. The show hasn't finished airing anywhere yet (including the USA) and hasn't STARTED in a lot of places.
So I'm sorry if you think the DVD is taking too long to come out, but the only thing I can say to that is, it's not, and this is how the show was sold to get it made, and I know they are working on it, and I'm sure they'll get it out as soon as they can.
And oh yeah -- don't bother Lifetime about that because they have nothing to do with the DVD.
Hope that explains things a bit. Be well.
Thank you for explaining the ins and outs of mass distribution and sales of a show. Because I know nadda about what goes on behind the scenes to get to my addiction Blood Ties or any other show to my television I do appreciate all of the inside information you send our way.
I know there is a lot of passion for this show but it is obvious that Lifetime, to give an example; is like the neighborhood movie theater. They can choose to run the movie but they have no say on what is available. Also, they can’t dictate to the producers/manufactures what product to put out there.
Post a Comment