I KNOW that many of you will disagree, and maybe you're even howling in protest even now. And I'll probably have more to say when I'm better rested. But I have to go down and just say that the more I think about it, the more I have to conclude simply that that was the bessst....endinggggg....evaaaaar.The Writer Mafia at the Banff TV Fest 2007 (or at least part of it anyway) would like to strongly thank a few amazing and thoughtful and awesome women at TMN, the Movie Network, for making viewing of the aforementioned finale possible.
TMN on Demand will have the finale online on Wednesday.
I'll probably edit this post later.
9 comments:
very good ending, very tense situation. i think the choice of music was a great counterpoint to what was to happen (which i still believe was tony's demise, no matter what the message boarders say--especially with the thing tony had said to a.j. about life being reiterated at the table).
the buildup was seemingly benign yet really intense. i felt dread watching meadow try to get that parking spot just right.
it also reminded me of how that movie "rules of attraction" ended--mid-sentence in voiceover, cut to black. that confounded me for the longest time, until i remembered how some of bret easton ellis's writing is very stream of consciousness, like he's dictating the words as his characters think them. and the novel / film ended abruptly because the life of the protagonist (in that scene anyway) ended abruptly, cutting his thoughts (and the story) short.
it couldn't have ended any other way, in my opinion. sure, it'll piss a lot of people off, but i think any way they chose to end it some fans would be dissappointed, or feel as though they "won the show" by guessing what would happen to tony. this way, it was poetic, it held to a long-standing theme of the show, and leaves it open (somewhat) for interpretation.
I liked it too and anyone who doesn't is a whiney titty baby.
(Althought I liked Kung-fu Monkey's idea of an ending as well)
First reaction: blink. Blink. Blink.
Excellent ending. The whole episode felt like a conversation with the audience, rather than about the characters. Why were we watching this show? What were our expectations?
Or, I'm over thinking it.
Still blinking.
i loved it too. It was a loving 'fuck you' to the watchers. "You ain't gettin' what you want, you're gettin' what's right and true for this show and these characters!" It was ballsy and real and left me mouth open in shock...Ya!
"And the question mark leaves the door open for a sequel!" -- Bart Simpson
I liked the ending too, if only because I love it when a show dares to end without wrapping everything up too clearly. (The pressure to provide absolute closure to a show, a relatively recent development, leads to such disasters as the Seinfeld finale, where Larry David told us all what we should think of the characters. At least Chase leaves us with some options about what to think of Tony et al.)
But I am in the camp that believes that we'll see a Sopranos feature or TV movie at some point later on, especially if Chase's feature career doesn't take off.
It was very clever and all, but there are some things I don't want left up to me as a viewer. "How it ended" is one of them.
I'm not quite pissed about it, but I'm not impressed either.
I normally read this blog in the morning at work with my cuppa tea.
But not yesterday, no sir.
I was too afraid of spoilers before I had the chance to watch the torrent- so I embarked on a difficult media avoidance plan. No radio, no gazing at newsstands and 95% of the internet was a danger-zone.
Having seen it, I loved that the characters were business as usual. Anti-heros can't learn from their mistakes!
On the downside, "Don't stop believinnnnnnnnn" has been playing in a continuous brain radio loop for the last 5 hours.
Help.
This David Chase kid....he looks like he might have a bit of potential.
I thought the ending was absolutely
Post a Comment