Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Reaping and Sowing

I'VE HAD two conversations with people who I consider to be smart, thinking individuals in the last week who think that Rosie O'Donnell was fired from The View because she's part of the so-called "9/11 Truth Movement."

I happen to think that all of the conspiracy thinking I've heard about 9/11, from "Loose Change" on down, is softheaded, paranoid, and ridiculous.

But it has incredible traction, because everyone now knows that the United States Government lied to get America into Iraq. They opened this door.

The media has a lot of credibility to rebuild. They need to be a lot tougher on this government. And I think the Democrats should continue to refuse to engage with FOX News. It's time to call it like it is.

I read two front page articles in the NYTimes this past Sunday. One was an unlikely success -- how American troops are gaining traction in an area of Iraq where locals have finally entered an uneasy truth because they feel homegrown terror is a bigger threat. (The big caveat: it's a homogenous region without a lot of Sunni-Shiite interfighting) But on the same page, the story that U.S. rebuilding projects are already in disrepair and crumbling.

The pendulum is swinging, and if we don't really go hard at the truth, people are going to start to believe the really wacky stuff. Time to rip the bandaid off.

Save us, corporate concentrated media! Save us!

1 comment:

Jaye said...

actually I have to wonder about the Rosie thing. I think that it's possible that it was in fact one of the reasons she was fired (the other being personal conflicts). As a member of The View, Rosie had the power to be identified as a sort of spokesperson for her employers. So what she said would be taken to reflect on their views. that's a dicey place to be in. dicey enough that it can break the camel's back