Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Electronical Armageddon

It's been a bad 72 hour period here at Dead Things Labs.

First was the inevitable LCD crystal crack of the Ipod Nano. I've been so careful, really. I don't know how it happened. Now the upper half of the crystal is readable, but that's it.

It's a huge pain in the ass.

Then, yesterday, horror of horrors, while reading a script and enjoying one of those fine brands of wobbly pops that the kids love so much, my man-bag fell from the shelf where it was placed lovingly, away from shuffling drunken children's feet. It tumbled to the ground with a sickening thud.

Strangely, the same thing happened in the very establishment approximately a year ago. Then, my beloved G4 Powerbook, which I purchased just before heading off to South Africa, found itself with a bend in the casing near the DVD Superdrive. Later it developed its current malaise -- a faulty venting that means that I often have to work on it with the plug in and the battery out, lest the thing overheat.

This time, there's another bend, and some wobbly badness on the casing of the screen, but so far no new symptoms.

But alas, the other precious was not so lucky. My Pioneer Airware radio, with which I enjoy the charms of XM Satellite Radio, now has a cracked crystal screen. I can now scroll and see the station I'm tuned to...but that is it.

As anyone who's ever experienced this kind of electronical injury knows, the crystal display is never, ever, ever covered under warranty. Yet one more thing that will change when my cult-like armies finally seize control of this benighted republic.

As for now, I'm goddamn bummed out.

4 comments:

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christina said...

Mercury turns retrograde tomorrow. You are its first victim.

Cunningham said...

We had the power out yesterday here at the Secret Mountain HQ.

I was adrift in prehistoric times...

Cunningham said...

Yeah but there's only two things that go in a man-bag...and it's always packed. Travel-ready if you will...

Putting the man-bag on the shelf out of reach (so you can't take it with you when you go out) is what relationships are for...