Well, I just fielded a call from my agent -- a Nice Guy, who to my everlasting dismay and insane jealousy -- is also the possessor of a superior head of hair. In fact, I'll throw down here and put my agent's hair up against the hair of any agent or manager in Canada. That's right, bitches. Not only is he a tough negotiator -- he conditions. Daily.
Anyway, the official word is that one of my projects got a pass from the network. It was by no means a surprise. This project has been cooking on "min" for too long. When I pitched it, I was a completely different person, and a very different kind of writer. It was pre-South Africa, pre-Charlie Jade, pre-a-lot-of-things. It went through lots of changes -- not all of them completely internalized by me, and along the way the project lost an Exec or two. The process made me appreciate the value of having a strong-willed Producer on board to push things along.
Still, it was the first script deal I ever closed, so there's a certain nostalgia to seeing it go. I got paid for two scripts and a series bible, and I'm convinced that, with belief and committment, the series could be great. But that's kind of my job to think that, isn't it?
I don't know where the rights are now, so I need to find that out. If I'm able, I might post some of it here, or use it as an example in future posts. Or as fishwrap. Fish is stinky. It needs to be wrapped.
I'm still busy with other projects, so no tears. Just the usual character-building regrets, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth. Cue the gnashing.
No comments:
Post a Comment